Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer acting weird

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew_K

Matthew_K

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:12 PM

Ok if my computer is idle for a certain period of time. Well I don't know how it happens but the computer gets this black screen and something comes up which says. DISCover couldn't recognize this disc. You can install or run the media manually. I know that has something to do with media center but that's not the problem. I click ok to get rid of the screen and I get this hour glass that just keeps turning and turning. If I restart the computer it will go away. If I do alt/ctrl/del and do turn off/hybernate and then turn computer back on the screen will come back up again. I know it has something to do with DISCover which means it has to do something with media center. I haven't put anything new on the computer recenlty this just came up out of nowhere one day I was out. It's not a big virus deal or something but is very annoying. While the hour glass is running and stuff I can still search stuff but it just replaces my mouse cursor. I have also tried doing the alt/ctrl/del when the program comes up but it won't remove the screen so I can't see what programs is it bringing it up. I have also tried to press the windows key on my computer to bring up the start menu but that gets me nowhere either. So now I'm taking suggestions on what this annoying problem can be. It doesn't come up all the time just at random times and I don't know what it is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:19 PM

I've never heard of the program. What does it do? I would either remove then reinstall it or find a suitable replacement

Edited by garmanma, 21 November 2008 - 03:19 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Matthew_K

Matthew_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:25 PM

Well the thing is I don't know what it is. Or I would of tried to do that. It just came up again. I don't know what accesses it but just through my computer knowledge I'm guessing that it has something to do with Media Center.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:41 AM

I found this, not a lot of help but it does tell you what DISCover is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DISCover

There are some links in the article you can click on and read for more info.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 November 2008 - 12:52 AM.

#5 Matthew_K

Matthew_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:38 PM

Ya I know what DISCover is and I kind of got a little break through last night. The computer started doing it again and I restarted and before it went off the alt/ctrl/del ending task thing popped up and it had 3 words I caught two of them before it closed it said DISCover System and something else. So next time I'm going to look for the 3rd word and look on my computer for that file. So I'm getting somewhere atleast. I'll keep you all updated.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:19 AM

The next time it pops up, hit your Print Screen button, open Paint, and select File/Paste.
That way, you'll have plenty of time to see what it says.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Matthew_K

Matthew_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:42 PM

Yes but it does it as I'm turning of the computer well it says what program is closing ya know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users