Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help my laptop is screwed!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lord_Sidelocks

Lord_Sidelocks

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 08 May 2005 - 10:40 AM

Just yesterday i bought a gateway solo 2150 notebook(second hand), After the guy gave me a demonstration of how the media player works I bought it off him. After he left it wwould restart and say sytrem 32 file is corrupt or mising. Also even though he showed me music playing, I canot get the speakers on on it.Its says that I have no playback devices turned on or that they are not working properly when ever I try to play a song! Plz help me as I saved up for along time for this and now it has been wasted.
Lord_Emmett[COLOR=blue]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddwtonigab001

ddwtonigab001

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:33 AM

are you able to contact the guy who sold it to you?....can you connect to the internet and do you have the original operating system cd's with it?.....you may need to reintall windows then install the device drivers for the sound card and all other devices.....(modems, graphics, multimedia and sound, etc.)

Darren

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:55 PM

Can you boot in safe mode? If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here:
Safe Mode

If you can bring up a command window (Start>Run) and type "sfc /scannow" without quotes. This will check for corruptions in system files. Yo may be asked for the path to the Windows XP CD (if you have XP). If you have the CD put it in your CDROM drive. If you don't have the CD look for the folder C:\i386 and point sfc there. If you don't have an i386 folder then so far as i know you're out of luck with sfc.

Let us know how you go.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 Lord_Sidelocks

Lord_Sidelocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:10 PM

Hi every1, amm i can contact him bt his fone is off for like a week but i tried typing that thing into the run bar and then this loading thing came up and then it asked me for my windows 2000 cd but i dont have one and it wouldnt load up other wise so i couldn't look at that file you were telling me about! thanks for your help but i dotn think this will work!
by the way to answer to one of your questiones the internetr only works for about 1 minute and then it wont fine any websites and it disconnectes its self from the network (even though it is still dalled u pit wont find anything) And i have went through pointless troubleshoots on the windows and they are no help what so ever!!! Any suggestions????
Lord_Emmett[COLOR=blue]

#5 Lord_Sidelocks

Lord_Sidelocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:13 PM

i dont have any of the original operating cds either... if the sound was working there must be a sound card but i dotn know where it is as everythin in it is pushes in correctly =...
Lord_Emmett[COLOR=blue]

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:48 PM

Do you see a little yellow icon of a speaker in your taskbar (bottom right of screen)?
Did you get any CDs with the computer? Like a Gateway Restore CD?

Edited by Enthusiast, 17 May 2005 - 07:49 PM.

#7 Lord_Sidelocks

Lord_Sidelocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 11:48 AM

Hi !! I didnt get any cs with it just a free case and a charger and a power supply and I got all the microsoft works cs (u know the ones picture it etc.) My cousin upgraded his pc to a 2000 using a cs so does that mean i coud somehow uninstall my currne tsystem and install the win 2000 system he has using that same cd??
Lord_Emmett[COLOR=blue]

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:39 PM

What do you have in your computer now? Win 2000 Pro?

Does your cousin have the Win 2000 Pro full installation disc?

If he does, you can use his CD to reinstall your system if you have the Microsoft key number for yours (to be legal).

Being that this is a brand new computer (for you) and you don't have a huge amount of files that need to be preserved, I would recommend a full, clean installation that starts with formating your hard drive and installing the operating system completely.

If you are going to do that let us know and we will help you along as you go through the process.

Remember - to do that you need the Microsoft Full Install disc, either retail or oem (not an upgrade disc), and the key number for the defective Win 2K software that is licensed to your computer.

#9 Lord_Sidelocks

Lord_Sidelocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 01:19 PM

ahh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think its only an upgrade disk!!! I live in ireland so how much would a normal disk be to buy it brand new?? I thik its an upgrade disk anyway... ill find oout some more information and get bak to ye asap!! thanks
Lord_Emmett[COLOR=blue]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users