Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't Boot - same problem twice with different HDs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kgirot58

kgirot58

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:43 PM

Dell 8400 - purchased 2004
WinXP SP3
NIS, Spybot S&D, AdAware, Spyguard, and others... basically a very clean system.

I have had two instances of boot failure with different hard drives and windows installations on the same computer. I'm wondering if I have a problem elsewhere that's causing this. Here are the details...

Few weeks ago after installing an upgrade to NIS 2009, I got a blue screen on boot. A diagnostic pointed to a hard drive error and I was unable to run chkdsk, so I reformatted and reinstalled windows (and ordered a new HD). All worked fine for two weeks until I got the new hard drive installed. Reloaded all software (took two weeks) and restored my files from the external HD backup. I have used it for two weeks with no problems. I use Retrospect 6.5 Express to backup to an external HD and extra internal HD. Last night I performed a duplicate backup of C: to the extra internal HD and later when I checked it's progress, the PC was off. I started it and it got past POST, but hung loading windows. A diagnostic is pointing to an error on the new hard drive.

Here is where I started questioning what was happening. Both times it failed to boot (old HD and new HD), I could not use Norton GoBack (no restore point found), Windows Restore (no restore point found), and could not perform chkdsk because it does not recognize C:\ drive. I have tried using the WinXP install disk to do a repair and it says it can't find iastor.sys, then fails. I can't load the recovery console. Even using a boot CD like Ultimate Boot CD or the recovery disk from Retrospect, it does not find a C: drive in order to run chkdsk. This really has me stumped. I know I can start all over and reformat and reinstall windows, but I'm wondering if there is another problem (mobo, power supply, bios, cmos....) that is the root cause of these problems. Any ideas??

Thanks,
Kenny

Edited by kgirot58, 21 November 2008 - 01:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:28 PM

I don't believe that running Go Back and XP's System Restore is recommended (I could be wrong).

Even though one is an O/S function while the other is a program installed...they both are trying to do some of the same things (maybe, at the same time).

Although I've used NIS before up to the 2006 version, I've never used Go Back but seem to recall that it created some inherent conflicts earlier with XP.

For possible reading: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=U...mp;aq=f&oq=

Louis

#3 kgirot58

kgirot58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:23 PM

Thanks Louis. I have used GoBack and System Restore together for four years and both seemed to work fine. Actually I didn't have GoBack installed when the second failure happened. I'm most interested why I can't get to the C: drive and whether some other component in the system is causing these failures.

I appreciate the link. Will read up on that subject.

Kenny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users