Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Help?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 snowjoe

snowjoe

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 08 May 2005 - 10:38 AM

My wife is getting bombarded by e-mails that have the sober.0@mm worm attached. Norton catches them all and says "clean failed, delete suceeded". I remember that I had similar problems on my computer and the Tom Coyote website helped me fix the problem but I think they are not as active as they once were. I posted a hjt log there quite a while ago with no response so I hope I can get help here! I also hope this its the correct place to ask for help with a problem of this nature.

I have run spybot, adaware, and cw shredder. Spybot and Adaware both fixed some problems. CW Shredder found none. I have also run these three in safe mode. So I think she has a virus, not just scumware. Here is the hjt.log. Any help is appreciated!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:15:05 AM, on 5/8/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATI2EVXX.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MDM.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC\PCANYWHERE\AWHOST32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\RTVSCN95.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\DEFWATCH.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CISCO SYSTEMS\VPN CLIENT\CVPND.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\ACSD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATIPTAXX.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\VPTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\REAL\REALPLAYER\REALPLAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\VIEWPOINT\VIEWPOINT MANAGER\VIEWMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM95\AIM.EXE
C:\SLIDESHW\SNSICON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0\AOLTRAY.EXE
C:\QUICKENW\QWDLLS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\INTUIT\QUICKBOOKS\QBUPDATE\QBUPDATE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\HJT\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiCwd32] Aticwd32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiQiPcl] AtiQiPcl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] Atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnsoniqMixer] starter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\vptray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CriticalUpdate] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ATIPOLAB] ati2evxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Machine Debug Manager] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MDM.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [awhost32] C:\Program Files\Symantec\pcAnywhere\\Awhost32.exe /A
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [rtvscn95] C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\rtvscn95.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [defwatch] C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\defwatch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [CVPND] C:\PROGRA~1\CISCOS~1\VPNCLI~1\CVPND.EXE start
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [AolAcsDaemon1] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\ACSD.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM95\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Startup: Snsicon.lnk = C:\SLIDESHW\Snsicon.exe
O4 - Startup: America Online Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
O4 - Startup: Quicken Startup.lnk = C:\QUICKENW\QWDLLS.EXE
O4 - Startup: Billminder.lnk = C:\QUICKENW\BILLMIND.EXE
O4 - Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM95\AIM.EXE
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a224.g.akamai.net/7/224/52/20010620...meInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {9059F30F-4EB1-4BD2-9FDC-36F43A218F4A} (Microsoft RDP Client Control (redist)) - http://ts2000/msrdp.cab
O16 - DPF: {7584C670-2274-4EFB-B00B-D6AABA6D3850} (Microsoft RDP Client Control (redist)) - http://ts2000/msrdp.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: NameServer = 24.205.1.62,24.205.1.14

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:37 AM

Hi snowjoe and welcome to the BC forums. After reviewing your log I see no signs of viruses or malware at this time. Your log is clean.

If you are receiving infected emails and your anti-virus is catching them and either cleaning or delting them then all should be well. You really can't do much about who is sending you emails. Most providers today have scanners to catch infected emails before they get to you so if you are getting them when you download them you might want to check with your mail provider and see if that service is available or not.

Other than that, it is a good idea to keep your antivirus updated and to perform wekkly scans with products such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#3 snowjoe

snowjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:01 PM

Hi Old Timer...Thank you for reviewing my hjt log. I thanked you soon after you posted but somehow it went to the ether. The e-mails have tapered off and everything seems fine now. Thanks for all the help and thanks to bleeping computer.com also!

Joe

#4 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:24 PM

You're welcome Joe. I'm glad that things are better now.

Now that your issues have been resolved I will close this topic. If you need it reopened for this same issue then please PM me. If you have any new issues in the future then please start a new topic.

Cheers.

Keep on computing!

OT :thumbsup:
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users