Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kaspersky

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:08 PM

Since I haven't seen any topics relating to mine that weren't ancient (I hate resurrecting dead topics), does anyone hear have good experiences with Kaspersky? The dead posts I was looking at were either asking the same, or had complaints.

I have two parts actually, one is to find ANY good experiences with it, the other is to see if anyone can help me understand how it goes through and cleans your system. Every other AV I've used gives you actions you can do about things found and shows you the processes/steps it takes in removing them. Kaspersky on the other hand notifies you that your computer is infected, may show the file path, and says it's neutralized. In the event it doesn't mysteriously take care of them, after running a scan it doesn't find anything... So.. The infection just disappeared..?

I'm asking this because I'm trying to understand this program so I can knowledgeably inform my boss about switching off it to Symantec SMP. The guy whom originally setup our network sweared by it, and I can't comprehend the frustration the program causes. The only information we all have is that we hate it, and that's not a logical reason for decision if we already have the program.

You're help in understanding, or furthering proof/experiences of difficulties so I can make a properly informed decision is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:43 PM

Kaspersky is, in my opinion, underrated as a home use AV.

Their on-line scan is definitely recommended on this site but most people wouldn't pay for the suite. You're right that it's a bit lacking in user-friendliness and bells and whistles and for some reason didn't get the boost that McAfee and Norton both got (both retailers and companies both seem to really big them up)

As for using it on a network I haven't any experience with that. I would say that Norton probably would have the edge only because that is how it is perceived.

What problems is Kaspersky causing your network?

Edited by m0le, 21 November 2008 - 02:43 PM.

Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 Ingle

Ingle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:41 AM

There's a few reasons; one is that the license seems to be valid one day and out of date the next, sometimes it alternates computers as to which has the updated license, even though they all should all the time. Another problem we have is that there seems to be a lot of viruses that swim around the network with it running, when/if it finds them it may or may not decide to clean them without informing you or giving you a choice; in the event that it doesn't decide to take care of it, the infection won't come up again as it has supposedly been "mysteriously cleaned".

Kaspersky's ability to push updates and scans from the server is also contributing to my lack of enthusiasm for the product.

#4 yossarian23

yossarian23

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:28 PM

I really like Kaspersky as a firewall, but I am a home user. We just replaced Norton Internet Security with it. We used Norton for at least 5 years, and I had grown increasingly disappointed in Norton, particularly after getting hit hard with a nasty that resulted in my reformatting our system.

I find Kaspersky to pretty pretty user friendly once it is up and running. I like the frequent updates. I find the scans to run smoothly and without hogging resources. I find the program to start up significantly faster than Norton. I am sure there will be frustrations down the line, but so far (1 month), I am very happy with Kaspersky and would recommend it over the other commercial firewalls I have used.

Edited by yossarian23, 24 November 2008 - 03:29 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:55 AM

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use a paid for product or free alternative.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Ingle

Ingle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:13 PM

Both of you make good points. In my experience, Norton is terrible for home use, though Symantec (same company) is pretty good for the corporate setting.

At the same time, Firewalls/AV does have a lot to do with personal preference and experimenting is often the way to determine what to use. However, when the cost of licensing is around $800+, it's not too likely to play around with them. For a business, free AV isn't the best way to go either.

The general feel I'm getting though is that Kaspersky is fine for home use, and no one else besides me has experience with corporate so I suppose I'll presume that I'm able to use the personal experience to make the informed decision that it's not the greatest and this thread can be closed or w/e. Thanks for the help guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users