Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cavalry External HDD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:57 AM

I'm in the market for an external HDD to backup 4 computers and a 360.

Cavalry seems to be coming up as "Best rating" more, but the safety ones still seem to be Seagate or WD My Book. If anyone has had good experiences with Cavalry 1-2TB, please let me know as My Books are loads more expensive.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:27 PM

Seagate and Western Digital both have been around long enough to prove themselves as being reliable. Seagate has the longest warranty of any hdd at this time. The Calalry has received some good reviews, but the haven't been out there long enough yet to really see how dependable they are. The price is right, a 1TB capacity for $99.99 after a $30.00 mail in rebate, this can be seen at Newegg.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:52 PM

I don't believe Cavalry makes their own drives, so that would be my first question. "What brand drives are they using?"

Seagates have a 5 year warranty while Western Digital and Maxtor have 3 years.

I had a Cavalry case with a Maxtor hard drive and the Cavalry quit before the hard drive. Luckily, the Cavalry uses standard formatting but some of the drive cases do not. Some external cases use a proprietary file structure which means you cannot remove the drive and use it elsewhere without reformatting.

Good luck.

DR

#4 Ingle

Ingle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for the intel. Between you two and some others I've talked to, I think I'll be better off with getting a 1.5 internal and an enclosure. Possibly a little more secure for backing up as well.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:23 PM

Just make sure that your motherboard supports SATA drives...if you go that way (IMO, you should). You did say internal hard drive.

There have been instances of persons buying SATA drives and not having SATA connections on the motherboard or having a SATA PCI controller (a PCI card that provides SATA capability where the motherboard doesn't).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 November 2008 - 03:24 PM.

#6 Ingle

Ingle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:38 PM

Not having SATA connections on a board?! Do they even MAKE those ANYMORE?!! No, my plan is to cycle the drives from backup to internal as I need more space to backup and just add larger drives to the enclosure. My board can't handle IDE if I intend to have my GPU installed and the only way to connect the drive to the Xbox would be USB so SATA internal connectors and USB & eSATA external is the type of enclosure I'll need.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:50 PM

<<Not having SATA connections on a board?!>>

Sure...a number of users don't trade in or trash their systems every year...and they still have IDE/PATA drives and motherboard connections.

Some of us don't have the income...that others do, for whatever reason...worldwide and in the U.S.

Louis

#8 Ingle

Ingle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:57 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a gluteus. I just had to replace my computer a few months ago due to my mainboard failing and no socket 478 AGP boards left. I do realize that most people can't replace their computers, but even "ancient" (technology wise) ones from 2000 have SATA ports. That's why I was taken aback.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:11 PM

No problem :thumbsup:, I just felt that, at times, we tend to forget that the vast majority of the world's populace...may be in less fortuitous circumstances.

I think we have a fair number of visitors, if not posters, who fall into this category.

To answer your question :huh:...no, most motherboards of recent manufacture will have only 1 IDE slot, but users can attach 2 IDE/PATA devices to that one connection.

What I'm truly amazed at (when I look at boards) is the fact that parallel and serial port slots are still included, even though those devices have gone to USB connections for several years now. It's not like manufacturers are going to start making devices with those two connections again :huh:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users