Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer does not load properly

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 William Law

William Law

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:27 AM

My primary problem is that Internet Explorer (IE) doesn't load properly. It will load and function normally only on booting; after opening it and closing it, it will not open again until reboot. Also, on clicking a link in Outlook Express (OE) IE does not open or load that link. I can't copy the link (in order to paste into IE)--this is new.

My trouble began on March 25 when I installed Mozilla Firefox (FF). IE would load intermittently after this, no matter whether IE or FF was the default browser. I uninstalled FF, reinstalled a new version--the problem remained. By April 12, it got worse to the point that neither FF or IE would load regularly. I finally uninstalled FF, and using 'search' got rid of all references to Mozilla or FF.

Bad trouble occurred on April 25 when suddenly most everything went bad: desk top changed to something never seen before with most things left off, Palm would not load, launch bar disappeared, task bar went from top to bottom and could not be moved. I finally got into IE by ways I don't recall now. I did a Norton System Works update and then a complete virus scan. A virus was found, (Trojan.Tooso.F), and removed. But system still fouled up and wouldn't function much at all. I have not idea where the virus came from. I don't open attachments and only rarely open a link. Choice Mail keeps most spam away.

I used True Image to restore an image made on April 9 (at a time that FF was installed). After this things went back to where they were before the virus. IE would load right after booting but would not reload after first closure and would stop working if left on but not used for 10 min or so. On clicking IE the empty IE page would appear with only the message: 'This page cannot be displayed'. At the bottom of the message was the notation: 'Cannot find server or DNS error.

I went on the MS IE forum and received some advice. I did a 'Protected files scan' --which was okay; also did a 'Winsock update'. Then did manual Norton update to get a new update program, new virus definitions. All this no help.

On May 5, I did another complete scan and another virus was found: (W32.Sober.O.@mm linc). and removed by the program. Then did another virus scan in safe mode and nothing found. I did go to Norton Security and did a specific removal of both viruses. I installed and ran BHODemon, Buster, CW Shredder, updated and ran AdAware and Spybot. I keep Counter Spy and MS Antispyware running all the time with daily updates.

I would appreciate your looking at the HijackThis log and hope you can help.I have a log that I made 'prophylactically' in Jan, if that would be of help.

Thanks so much

Bill Law
=================================================
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:52:16 AM, on 5/8/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Unable to get Internet Explorer version!

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Mouse\point32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\StartupMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy Client\sunasDTServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy Client\sunasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Sharp\Sharpdesk\IndexTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Sharp\Sharpdesk\Indexer.exe
C:\Program Files\Sharp\Sharpdesk\SharpTray.exe
C:\Program Files\DigiPortal Software\ChoiceMail\ChoiceMail.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\SYSDOC32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\William Law\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\MSIMN.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\OPScan.exe
C:\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O2 - BHO: ZIBho Class - {029CA12C-89C1-46a7-A3C7-82F2F98635CB} - C:\Program Files\Kontiki\bin\bh309190.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: IeCaptureBho Object - {7c1ce531-09e9-4fc5-9803-1c2956615786} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopIE.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTDVDDet] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AsioReg] REGSVR32.EXE /S CTASIO.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SBDrvDet] C:\Program Files\Creative\SB Drive Det\SBDrvDet.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliType] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Palm Desltop] C:\palm\palm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Mouse\point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Run StartupMonitor] StartupMonitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PinnacleDriverCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSDrvCheck.exe -CheckReg
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunasDTServ] C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy Client\sunasDTServ.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunasServ] C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy Client\sunasServ.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndexTray] "C:\Program Files\Sharp\Sharpdesk\IndexTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Indexer] "C:\Program Files\Sharp\Sharpdesk\Indexer.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SharpTray] "C:\Program Files\Sharp\Sharpdesk\SharpTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TypeRegChecker] "C:\Program Files\Sharp\Sharpdesk\TypeRegChecker.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ChoiceMail] C:\Program Files\DigiPortal Software\ChoiceMail\ChoiceMail.exe
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Norton System Doctor.LNK = C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\SYSDOC32.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to filterlist (WebWasher) - http://-Web.Washer-/ie_add
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://c:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Omniquad MyPrivacy - {B72455AE-D3DE-492a-8FE0-0EA053B85277} - C:\Program Files\Omniquad MyPrivacy\MyPrivacy.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Omniquad MyPrivacy - {B72455AE-D3DE-492a-8FE0-0EA053B85277} - C:\Program Files\Omniquad MyPrivacy\MyPrivacy.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .bcf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPBelv32.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=34738&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {304DFFD0-5A88-41CD-9FEB-ADC200D25AD0} (PCConfigOMRA.ATConfigOMRA) - https://secure.adrentech.com/configomra/ui/PCConfigOMRA.CAB
O16 - DPF: {4E330863-6A11-11D0-BFD8-006097237877} (InstallFromTheWeb ActiveX Control) - http://msfm.interwise.com/IWCampus/student...nt/iftwclix.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {8EDAD21C-3584-4E66-A8AB-EB0E5584767D} - http://toolbar.google.com/data/GoogleActivate.cab
O16 - DPF: {90C9629E-CD32-11D3-BBFB-00105A1F0D68} (InstallShield International Setup Player) - http://www.installengine.com/engine/isetup.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac...ta/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {D44C75D8-C827-473E-8F68-A77E42500782} (Uploader Class) - http://photo.walmart.com/photo/uploads/WebUploadClient.cab
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac.../ActiveData.cab
O16 - DPF: {F229AB32-7BF9-4225-B78F-B4680AE6FC23} (Snapfish File Upload ActiveX Control) - http://www.snapfish.com/SnapfishUpload.cab
O16 - DPF: {F54C1137-5E34-4B95-95A5-BA56D4D8D743} (Secure Delivery) - http://www.gamespot.com/KDX22/download/kdx.cab
O18 - Protocol: sds - {79E0F14C-9C52-4218-89A7-7C4B0563D121} - C:\Program Files\Sharp\Sharpdesk\ExplorerExtensions.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Executive Software International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NeroSVC - ahead software gmbh
im stoeckmaedle 6
76307 karlsbad, germany
Fax: ++49-7248-911-888
e-mail: info@ahead.de - C:\Program Files\ahead\Nero\NeroSVC.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My mailbox is spam-free with ChoiceMail, the leader in personal and corporate anti-spam solutions. Download your free copy of ChoiceMail from www.choicemailfree.com.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:28 AM

Hello William Law and welcome to the BC forums. After reviewing your log I see no signs of viruses or malware at this time. Your log is clean.

Let's look for some hidden files that HijackThis would not see. Download rkfiles.zip and unzip it to its own permanent folder.

Important! Reboot in SAFE MODE !!

Start in Safe Mode Using the F8 method:
  • Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Options menu appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode menu item.
  • Press the Enter key.
Locate the rkfiles.bat file and double-click it to run it. It will start scanning your computer and could take a little while so be patient. When the DOS window closes, reboot back to normal mode.

Post the contents of C:\log.txt back here and I will review it when it comes in.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users