Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Options, Settings, Dependency shows damaged on all

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 trishal

trishal

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:47 AM

When I click on Internet Options, Settings, view objects. Under dependency all show damaged. Is this right? I am running IE 7, Windows XP Home Edition and reverted back to Service Pack 2 yesterday.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:52 AM

Hi trishal,

What you are referring to are ActiveX controls that are contained in the folder C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files. That folder is what you see when you click Internet Options->General tab->Settings under Browsing history-> View Objects. I was a bit confused where you were getting "dependancy" from until I read another of your posts--BTW, you should not post in more than one forum--that you were looking at the Dependancy tab for each object's properties.

To answer your question, it is safe to delete any file you find in the Downloaded Program Files (DPF) folder. Whatever ActiveX program you have can be redownloaded whenever you revisit whatever site downloaded it in the first place. Assuming this is "good" ActiveX. ActiveX has a bad reputation in some circles because it makes drive-by downloads of malware easy, but most of the time it is OK if you check out what is getting downloaded first. Windows Update uses ActiveX, as well as online scanners and other useful web applications--best examples are online games like Bejeweled at MSN.

So, as an example, if you had played Bejeweled previously and then went to your DPF folder and deleted the object, the next time that you go to the Bejeweled webpage to play, you would have to redownload the ActiveX controls before you could play again. If you had not deleted the object in DPF, you would be able to play sooner as you don't have to wait on a download.

Now, why do they show as damaged? I'm not really sure. I looked at some of mine and some show as damaged, some don't. I'm not really sure that those all really are damaged. But since they will be replaced with new, updated viable files so easily, it doesn't hurt to delete them--probably a good idea.

The DPF folder is a "special" one for Microsoft. It doesn't have the standard menu, including Delete, when you right click the objects--probably why they are called objects instead of files. But you can right click and choose Remove. Also you can choose "Delete this item" on the left if you don't have folder tree view enabled in Windows Explorer and I just tried using the delete key--that seems to work fine as well.

In another of your posts you seemed to indicate that you can't delete "Disabled" ActiveX Controls. Where are you seeing disabled at and how are you going about deleting? Also post back the names of the objects you are trying to delete. Want to see if it is legit or not. Also what antivirus are you running and do you use any other programs like SuperAntispyware?

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users