Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

still cant get on the net after removing antivirus 2008

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 gbdola

gbdola

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:44 AM

I removed antivirus 2008 using malabytes malware on my desktop. I am unable to connect to the internet even though my other computer ( laptop) connects to the net without problem. I tried the winsock repair without success. Since then, I've run malabytes several times and apparently there is no infection at this time on the desktop. I am also unable to create a restore point on the desktop. Any idea would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:04 PM

I removed antivirus 2008 using malabytes malware on my desktop. I am unable to connect to the internet even though my other computer ( laptop) connects to the net without problem. I tried the winsock repair without success. Since then, I've run malabytes several times and apparently there is no infection at this time on the desktop. I am also unable to create a restore point on the desktop. Any idea would be appreciated.

could you kindly post the report from the malawarebytes scan for a look- over ?

The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Please copy and paste the contents of that report for examination

#3 gbdola

gbdola
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for the reply. I can't get on the internet to be able to send the log to you. I tried to print it out and scan it to my laptop but the computer won't allow me to print any documents. Any other suggestions??

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. I can't get on the internet to be able to send the log to you. I tried to print it out and scan it to my laptop but the computer won't allow me to print any documents. Any other suggestions??

yup; do you have a USB Flash drive or similar you CAN save it on to transfer it for viewing from the Desktop to the Laptop?

are the two computers connected ? as you have now connectivity problems may I ask if you did by chance run the ConboFix tool?

#5 gbdola

gbdola
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:43 PM

Here is the log. I did not run a conbofix tool. Actually I don't know what that is as I'm not very computer savy/ I have 2 computers connected to fios internet. The laptop, which I'm working on connects to the internet, but the desktop which had the virus will not connect to the internet nor will it print documents or create a restore point. Thanks for the help

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30

Database version: 1306
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

11/14/2008 8:35:20 AM
mbam-log-2008-11-14 (08-35-20).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 61668
Time elapsed: 48 minute(s), 0 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 3
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 3
Files Infected: 11

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{037C7B8A-151A-49E6-BAED-CC05FCB50328} (Adware.Search Toolbar) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{037C7B8A-151A-49E6-BAED-CC05FCB50328} (Adware.Search Toolbar) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\MSFox (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\IEUpdate (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\MSFox (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\RegistrySmart (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\RegistrySmart\Log (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\RegistrySmart\Registry Backups (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\~tmpb.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\~tmpe.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\RegistrySmart\Errors.stg (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\RegistrySmart\Results.stg (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\RegistrySmart\Registry Backups\2007-07-07_13-56-50.reg (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\RegistrySmart\Registry Backups\2007-07-08_06-36-07.reg (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\RegistrySmart\Registry Backups\2007-07-18_20-17-47.reg (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\a.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\~tmpa.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\~tmpc.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\~tmpd.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:22 PM

you really need to rerun the malawarebytes scan and then reboot the computer to allow the fix to work then rerun the scan and post the report

ideally we need to see a load of zeros

and if this http://www22.verizon.com/content/consumerf...fios+extras.htm

is the product you have for internet use(?) do you have any other antivirus protection on either computer? IS the antivirus protection from the on- line product fully up to date?

#7 gbdola

gbdola
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:36 AM

Here is the information you requested. I have verizon fios for internet service. Ialso have norton internet security for antivirus. Since I have never experienced this type of thing beofre, I would appreciate information as to what product I can use to protect my computer in the future from this type of thing. As a matter of fact, yesterdeay, I was working on the laptop, and the antivirus2009 pop up came on and started trying to load on the laptop. I was able to prevent it from loading and did a malabytes scan and it came up negative. I've never seen anything like this before. Thanks again for your help. I would really perfer not to scrub the operating system if I can help it.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30
Database version: 1306
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

11/20/2008 10:31:30 AM
mbam-log-2008-11-20 (10-31-30).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (A:\|C:\|D:\|E:\|)
Objects scanned: 136784
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 58 minute(s), 56 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#8 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:21 AM

I am suspcious that you may have actually TWO antivirus protection methods on there

one from the Verison and the other is Norton

Can you please check it out on your computer?BUT we need to know your Windows version please?

You will be pleased to know the Malwarebyes program scan appears to be clean

#9 gbdola

gbdola
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:16 PM

I understand that everything appears to be clean but is there someting that I am missing as I am unable to connect to the internet and am unable to print any files even though the printer seems to be working. I aonly have norton antivitus running

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:45 AM

Are you using Vista or XP? Any error messages of any kind? What exactly is the printer doing? Are you sure it's not your connection? Have you checked with your ISP?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 gbdola

gbdola
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:06 PM

I'm running xp. The isp is fine as my other computer connects to the internet without problems. I've tried to use other browsers without success. When I try to print, the printing que opens up and says that the document is pending. My internet connection is fine

#12 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:33 PM

Are the computers linked at all or are they stand- alone? And if they are linked ,which is the MAIN computer ?

#13 gbdola

gbdola
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:24 PM

all computers stand alone but the desktop is directly hardwired to the fios router

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:50 PM

There have been some instances lately with routers. Try resetting the router and give it a strong password
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users