Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Several display problems.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nicolice

Nicolice

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:10 AM

Hello.

I own an asus p4v8x-x motherboard and also a new ati radeon 9550, which I just bought recently to replace my older card, just for normal gaming purpose.

But I've several problems after I tried to install the card.

As before I install the card, I first uninstalled all existing drivers before I continue, and plugged off the power and just replacing my graphics card like normal.

Then, after I've installed the latest ATI Catalyst [as my card is supported by the drivers], and restart the computer, and this is where the problems arise.

I can load properly to windows, but when I tried to play some 3d games such as warcraft, my screen will gone blank for like 1-2 minutes, then VPU crashing messages pops up, then the system will hang, and I've to hard reset the system again.

Once I've restart the system, I've experienced some major graphics corruptions such as the colors and lines just gone bit haywire and I thought it was either that I've installed the drivers improperly so I uninstall, restart, reinstall and restart the system again.

After that, I tried to run some games again like Warcraft, and again I experienced some major graphics corruptions then blank screen again, for like 1-2 minutes, and then my system will hang.

So I start suspecting that my graphics card spoiled, so I unplug it and installed it at other computers that have different motherboard [but with VIA chipset], and the card works perfectly fine.

So I suspect that my motherboard bios probably out-of-date, so I've used Asus update tool and installed the latest Beta bios, but...this doesn't solves the problem...yet another problem arise.

After I've flashed the BIOS, now is that there's an error says "The device cannot start (code10)" at VIA CPU to AGP 2.0/AGP3.0 Controller, I've tried to change the AGP mode, but it's FIXED at AUTO, and I've even set the AGP Aperture size to 256MB, and it won't help.

I even tried download and install the latest VIA Hyperion chipset drivers, but that doesn't solves the problem much. I don't know what to do now, and I'm confused why the motherboard AGP mode can't be set and my graphics card won't work with the system.

My PC specifications:
- Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
- 1GB of RAM
- Asus P4V8X-X motherboard
- 2x SATA 250GB HDD
- ATI Radeon 9550 256MB 128bit graphics card.

I hope it can be solved ASAP as I need this computer to do my other works soon.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nicolice

Nicolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:47 AM

Add up:
- I just reflashed back the bios using the ez-flash, luckily I still have the original CD with me, and the problem regarding device not start for via seems solved.

Right now the only problem is that my graphics card and my motherboard, I still experiencing blank screen or crashes.
And I read somewhere that you can change your AGP mode? But it's locked at AUTO whenever I enter the bios. Help?

Everytime I restarts my computer, there's like graphical corruptions, and hang.

Edited by Nicolice, 21 November 2008 - 09:02 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:02 AM

Hi.

From what I see, that motherboard is 8x AGP and so is your card.

There is no reason to change the AUTO mode if you have a BIOS setting for changing the AGP mode.

Did you uninstall previous video drivers before installing the new ones?

Did you install the drivers from the CD, rather than using the newest ones from the ATI/AMD site?

I have 3 ATI video cards and I find that they tend to work better with the drivers initially issued (AIW 7500, AIW 9600, X200).

You might want to use the following tool to remove all video drivers...then reboot and reinstall originals. I suggest trying to uninstall them first by using Add/Remove Programs and Device Manager first. That includes the Catalyst software and anything else which is ATI.

How to uninstall hidden devices, drivers, and services - Tech-Recipes.com - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips504.html

Another link that might be useful: http://www.playtool.com/pages/uninstallgra.../uninstall.html

Louis

#4 Nicolice

Nicolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:52 AM

Thanks, tho I read somewhere that it will be solved if you switches to agp 4x, but I can't even switches the AGP mode in my bios.

And I've used the tool, after I've uninstalled the drivers, and now when I tried to reinstall back, not even Catalyst control panel shows this time, and every games I tried to play will ends up with "Display not supported, unable to initiliaze direct 3D".

These never happens if I'm using the older 9200se card, only when I tried to use 9550 graphics cards.

It doesn't have any problems if I used the 9550 card at other computer, only at this asus p4v8x-x.

I'm really clueless on what happened on these :s

#5 Nicolice

Nicolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:25 AM

I kinda gave up on this, after spent like 5-6 hours trying to figuring whats wrong with the motherboard and the card.

I've flashed, no helps, uninstalled and reinstalled [everytime restart after each steps], no helps, cleaned leftover with driver cleaner and driver sweeper, no helps, too.
Even ati catalyst wont shows up now, and whenever I tried to start a game, it crashes and gives me bsod.

Totally clueless on what made these happened, it was fine at other computer [the card] :s

-headache-

Edited by Nicolice, 21 November 2008 - 10:35 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:19 AM

If the card works fine on other systems and other cards work fine on yours...then it has to be drivers.

If no other card works on yours, then it may be hardware other than the card (e.g., the motherboard).

There is definitely something wrong if you cannot properly install the correct drivers on your system, but you can on other systems.

I would never have flashed the BIOS...maybe you need to consider returning to the original.

http://support.asus.com/download/download_...p;model=P4V8X-X

What version of the BIOS did you use when you flashed?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 November 2008 - 11:24 AM.

#7 Nicolice

Nicolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:29 AM

Lol, ok here's how I...solved just now, hopefully lasted long.

I just go to http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst...xp/radeonxip-xp
Downloaded them manually, installed drivers, then wdm, then ccc, then restart.

Once I've restart the computer, I quickly go to Catalyst Control Center, and go to SmartGart panel, and I slide the bar from AGP 8X to AGP 4X, then I restart.

Miraculously it solved, I don't experiences any blank screen or bsod afterward. I just don't understand what happened tho...sigh, after like 7 hours I tried worked on this.

Thanks for all the helps, I think mod can close this one, phew.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:39 PM

LOL...ours is not to reason why, but just to be grateful that it worked :thumbsup:.

Happy computing :flowers:.

I've never even bothered to use the CCC for anything, nice to know that it can serve a purpose.

Louis

#9 Nicolice

Nicolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:03 PM

Lol, yah.
Luckily CCC saved my day for this part, since I can't even change the AGP mode at my BIOS since it's locked at AUTO.

Hope this helps too for other users that have the same pc configuration as mine.

#10 Nicolice

Nicolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:52 AM

I've few questions, just recently tried on windows vista system...

And the ATi Catalyst for windows vista doesn't have SMARTGART function, is there any solutions or way to set the AGP to 4x? The AGP Mode in bios is locked at AUTO.

Edit: Found the ATI Tray Tools, from here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733#download and you can change the agp settings there.

Case solved, again.

Edited by Nicolice, 30 November 2008 - 06:36 AM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:59 AM

Feedback appreciated, may help someone in similar situation. Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users