Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot delete files/folders

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 stanf

stanf

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:19 PM

G'day people. I am unable to delete some files/directories and though I've spent hours using google cannot find a solution. I'm unable to describe the situation so I've attached a small capture of one of the the directories. It is the most bizarre situation I've ever seen. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks. Stan Attached File  weird_files.JPG   41.3KB   44 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:57 PM

Have you tried using Killbox to get rid of it?

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:47 AM

hi,,, activate show hidden files then try to delete,,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 stanf

stanf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:05 PM

No luck with the two suggestions... windows says the files/directories don't exist!! So how can I see them?

#5 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:23 PM

Hi, try to take ownership of the folder. Right click on the folder>properties>security>advandced>owner>edit>change it to your logon name>close. Now go to properties>security>edit>give your self full permissions and remove any unknown user.
MCP
MSDST

#6 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:41 PM

If Monty007's method doesn't work, try a program called Unlocker

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:40 PM

Most likely there's some corruption in your system - although this could also be a virus problem.
To check, go to Start and type in "cmd" (without the quotes).
At the top of the search window, right click on the CMD.EXE there and select "Run as administrator"
In the CMD window, type "CHKDSK /R" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
It'll tell you it can't run now and will ask if you want to run it at the next reboot. Answer Y (for Yes) and press Enter.
Then reboot - CHKDSK /R will run as the system restarts, once it's done it'll boot into Windows.

Does that fix the issue?
If not, have you scanned for viruses?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 stanf

stanf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:54 PM

G'day Usasma
Thanks for your input. The drive is an external usb hard drive; I didn't state that in my original post ... what is the correct syntax in this case?
stan

#9 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:10 PM

you should run sfc (system file checker)

startmenu > in the search type cmd > hit ctrl+shift+ enter then hit alt+c to continue

In the Command Prompt window, type: sfc /scannow and then press Enter

have your installation dvd handy for the process to complete if it needs to replace files.

#10 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:15 PM

G'day Usasma
Thanks for your input. The drive is an external usb hard drive; I didn't state that in my original post ... what is the correct syntax in this case?
stan

chkdsk (drive letter with colon) /x (dismounts if necessary implies /f fix errors)

#11 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:15 PM

have your installation dvd handy for the process to complete if it needs to replace files.

You might want to re-read the problem. Just which files do you think that the system disk is going to replace on external storage?

#12 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:17 PM

I read the problem, and if system file checker finds a problem with a system file, it will need the installation dvd to replace it.

it was just a thought given the filenames.

although, it wouldnt take much to try installing winrar, (yes this is a hackaround way) right click the directories in question, add to archive, and select "delete file" when the archive wizard pops up.

or you could open winrar, navigate to the directory in question and highlight it, and press the delete key. (i have found that winrar can see what explorer cannot. example: hp's recovery partition files.)

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 25 November 2008 - 09:21 PM.

#13 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:15 PM

The files are on an external USB drive. Nowhere did this user say that it is an external bootable drive. In which case, there would be no system files, would there? Which is why I mentioned that you might want to re-read the post so that you could maybe give actual useful advice.

#14 stanf

stanf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 04:00 AM

Thanks for all your replies...esp Usasma. chkdsk G: /R worked. It found unrecoverable errors in the two folders , converted them to files and then converted the lost chains to files, which I was able to delete. hooray!! stan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users