Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to hook up laptop to desk top

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gfox06

gfox06

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 08 May 2005 - 06:42 AM

I have a desktop with xp and a laptop with ME I have my laptop hooked up and running wireless and desk top i,s running off the same cable modem (they are sharing) That is all working fine problem is how to hook up the two computers so I can share files from one to the other. The laptop does not have a port for a cat5 cable. can I go usb to usb and share files? If not what type of cable do I need to get in order to hook them together? If you know of any other tips that may be helpful it is very appreciated. Thank you in advance fore any help you may offer.
When I ran my networking on both computers it said to use the lpt ports on the computer, should I get one of those cables with 2 female ends?

Edited by gfox06, 08 May 2005 - 07:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:58 AM

Ok, to be able to share files the cheapest and easiest way (since there are only 2 computers) is to go to your local computer store (ie: RadioShack...) and buy a "Cat5e crossover" cable. This cable is designed to allow 2 computers to connect to each other without a router.

Once you would hook that up, you would have to make sure they are both on the same "workgroup." To do this,

1.) Click Start
2.) Right Click My Computer
3.) Click Properties
4.) Click Computer Name tab
5.) Click Change
6.) Give the computer a name
7.) Select Workgroup, and type in a name for your workgroup, but make sure this is the exact same thing on both of them.

Do this for both of them, once you get the cross-over cable.

When you go to buy it, if your not sure you got a cross-over calbe, save the receipt so you can return it.

Edited by yanowhiz, 08 May 2005 - 08:59 AM.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:03 PM

The laptop does not have a port for a cat5 cable.

That's pretty unusual but if so you can't use yanowhiz's suggestion.

it said to use the lpt ports on the computer, should I get one of those cables with 2 female ends?

Only as a last resort imho.

I have my laptop hooked up and running wireless and desk top i,s running off the same cable modem (they are sharing)

So the cable modem is wireless? and also has a hub/switch that your desktop is connected to by Cat5 patch cable? If so you are already networked and should just have to share a folder or a drive on each machine for them to be able to see each other. You may have to enable 'file and printer sharing' in the network properties of each.

To check they really are on the same netowrk bring up a cmd window (or MSDOS prompt window) and type ipconfig. Write down the numbers that appear after IP Address and Mask, then check the other machine. Then type "ping <IP address of the other PC>" and you should be shown a response time for an answer from the other machine. If you get "Timed Out" we need to look into it some more.

Edited by Rimmer, 08 May 2005 - 09:05 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users