Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor has gone blank

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 noviceny

noviceny

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:59 PM

Yesterday, the screen went blank although LT continued ‘working’ (i.e., lights remained on for power & wireless buttons). When I pushed a peg-like button down (the button goes down every time the LT is closed), the images on the screen came back for awhile and I could use the LT.
Today, the ‘button’ solution is not working , so the screen is always blank & the LT is now turning itself off (as indicated by lights going off on power & wireless button).

I read the thread by NeoAbel, but don’t know if NeoAbel’s problem is relevant to mine.
Can anyone help? This sounds bad to me. :thumbsup:

Specs:
Notebook: HP Pavilion zv5320us
1.6GHz Mobile AMD Athlon XP-M Processor
Windows XP Home
512MB DDR SDRAM
Nvidia GeForce 4 420

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noviceny

noviceny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:32 PM

I didn't mean to put angy emoticon on my subject line. My real one is :thumbsup:
Is there one for "freaked out"?

Mea culpa.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:36 AM

I don't know anything about laptops but I'll start :thumbsup:.

You are directly connected to power when using this laptop, not running on battery?

Louis

#4 noviceny

noviceny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:02 AM

That's correct.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Patty

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:10 AM

That peg-like button is the hibernation/standby switch. They can stick or go bad. Take a Q-tip and some alcohol or contact cleaner, swab the switch and move the switch up and down. Let it dry
Standby and hibernation are also affected by corrupt display drivers. You might want to update the video driver
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 noviceny

noviceny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:39 PM

I'll do that. Thank you very much for your help.

Patty

#7 noviceny

noviceny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:18 PM

I cleaned the hibernate/standby switch and that worked for most of the day. When the screen went blank again, I downloaded the latest update of the nVidia video driver, while I had the screen working for several hours. It downloaded but I haven't had the screen since then (Sat. AM).

Do you think there's anything else I can do?

#8 ndgoh

ndgoh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:42 AM

Can your laptop connect to separate CRT/LCD and see if it works?

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:40 PM

Here is the link to the video driver:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...;product=433743

Download it to your Desktop. This is a self-extracting file. All you need to do is double-click on it and it should walk you through the installation
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#10 noviceny

noviceny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:10 PM

We don't have a desktop, so I went to an electronics store to have the computer people check it out (it was free, thank goodness). I talked to the guy on the phone first and reported what I (you guys) thought it was. When we went to the store, he plugged the LT into a desktop LCD and the LT did work (the image was on the desktop). He said that the 'back light' had burned out and it would cost 200-300 to replace it. He recommended a new computer, since other things could start going wrong with our beloved LT. My daughter said 'you mean we have to replace this computer because of a "light bulb"? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
noviceny

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:30 PM

We don't have a desktop,

"Desktop" is your main computer screen when you are logged into Windows. It's where all of the Icons are :thumbsup:
Seeing how you are not handy with computer, you could sell it "as is" on Craig's List or whatever. Just tell them what's wrong with it. Of course if you want to do that you would want to reinstall the operating system so it doesn't have your personal info on it. To do that, you would have to hook it up to an external monitor
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users