Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista phone calls over phoneline modem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WACOMalt

WACOMalt

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:11 PM

Hey, I am an owner of a HP tx2500 laptop. Which has a built in phone-line modem. I currently have it set up to send faxes (and receive them)

Then I remembered that on XP I had it set up to be able to call over this phone line. I could call regular phones anywhere, as it was just using my home phone-line service.

So anyways, I remember the application on windows XP was just called like "Phone Call" or something simple like that. You were just presented with a window of buttons, and a call button.

I cannot find this program on my new XP machine, which has no phone modem installed.

So did this program come as part of windows xp? did it come with my modem way back when? and can it be found for vista?

Aka, how can I have my computer act like a phone?

Edited by WACOMalt, 20 November 2008 - 02:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:28 PM

So it depends what you actually want to do, as there are a number of ways to make phone calls from a PC.

I suspect you want to use Phone Dialer, (dialer.exe). This will dial phone number and save speed dial numbers.

Just Right Click your Desktop and choose New> Shortcut from the shortcut menu. In the location field, Type the following:

C:\Windows\System32\dialer.exe

Then hit next and Name the shortcut what ever you like. Then, Hook up your modem and Home phone line to the correct
ports and you should be able to dial away.

Dialer.exe was somewhat well hidden in Vista, but I did find it. exactly where it was supposed to be.

Good Luck

#3 WACOMalt

WACOMalt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:44 PM

That is exactly the file I was looking for! thank you very RandomUser!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users