Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 may look like this:

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#1 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:14 PM

Introducing the Widows 7 UI

Of course, some of these cosmetic changes may or may not appeal to everyone.

Are any of our members running a W7 beta and if so are you willing to share some early impressions?

Here's Microsoft's Windows 7 website with more information.

They say it will be faster. That would be nice.

Edited by JohnWho, 20 November 2008 - 01:15 PM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:07 PM

Is is Faster then Vista?

#3 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:05 PM

...vista much????

i like the start button...colorful..... hopefully this isnt going to follow its parents foot steps
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:24 PM

Does anyone have any idea of pricing for the OS?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:50 PM

Is is Faster then Vista?

They say it will be faster. That would be nice.

...vista much????

Lol. Ya, its like another Vista Machine. It's more of an upgrade version of Vista, therefore it would be very similar to a vista computer.

I always admired Vista's icons. They look very fancy..

IT seems from the screen shots, they have added a few features that is similar to the XP. Perhaps I may like Windows 7 later on.

THe thing that disappoints me is:

Finally, we're working hard to ensure that Windows 7 will run on any PC and work with any program that works today with Windows Vista

Seems like it's going to be another vista machine that probably will have programs that don't run on it. Still prefer XP though :huh:.

Just my thoughts.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:58 PM

More information on Windows 7 at Paul Thurrott's Supersite for Windows.

I'm sure I've read that it will be faster than Vista on the identical hardware, but can't seem to find the article again, samuel3.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 20 November 2008 - 05:38 PM

How about maybe checking out the Windows 7 Developer's blog?

#8 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:39 PM

I must say, it looks a Tad like Linux now with KDE installed. I bet they going to revamp security so that is less intrusive, but still effective. Why would security be intrusive anyhow?

OK I just looked again and this is A LOT like linux. Like Alot Alot. Mucho even.

The only differences are that Windows is proprietary and based on a DLL linkage and .net and others that only play well with windows. Don't get me wrong I like the
way Microsoft is thinking with Windows 7, but wow. Who'd have thought they would copy Open Source?

I jest. Surely long time Windows users should stick with Windows as everything should be in the expected places. And the Search Feature in Windows far outdoes
Linux, and so too the Wireless capabilities.

You have to admit, there is an uncanny likeness though.

Edited by RandomUser, 20 November 2008 - 06:40 PM.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:38 AM

Remember, this is an early beta. The final UI elements might not be finalized yet. 7 doesn't look anything like KDE 4, although it would be nice to use the plasmoids.

3939.png

#10 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:08 PM

Does anyone know if windows 7 can be installed on a USB external HD?

#11 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:28 PM

So now we can safely say the Microsoft has given up on Vista?

Edited by Monty007, 22 November 2008 - 05:29 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:24 PM

Windows 7 will be coming with DirectX 11. DX11 will be ported over to Vista but not XP. Windows Media Player 12 will also be making its debut in Windows 7. Retailing SKU's have not been announced, but Ultimate Extras will not make a return to Windows 7 from Vista. Not that it's important since there isn't many extras available.

3939.png

#13 Guest_Illegal Alien_*

Guest_Illegal Alien_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:55 AM

That would be pretty amazing if it ended up looking like that. I thought Vista had some flashy designs, man whoever designed those pictures did a nice job even if thats not what it turns out to be. It looks possible though, the simple user friendly design packed with powerful features.

#14 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:52 PM

Yes, But can it do this?

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:27 PM

Windows 7 isn't even in beta yet - it's still running in alpha and the build released at PDC was just for informational purposes. In other words, WYSAWYG (What You See Ain't What You Get). This is the development cycle and it has been followed for each version of Windows AFAIK.

I used the Vista beta extensively and now have Vista on my systems. The difference between the two is drastic - and this will be the case with Windows 7.

Pricing, feature set, etc won't even start to be available until you start to see the Release Candidates (RC's) being released. And even then a lot will remain uncertain until the product launches (price and system requirements in particular). I think the most important aspects that I've seen written about are the same driver model that Vista uses (so Vista drivers will be compatible), and the revised UAC behavior.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users