Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:00 PM
A while ago, my computer (a custom built one) stopped booting. Ultimately we ended up reinstalling Windows XP Home. In the interest of full disclosure (not sure if it makes a difference) the license is a Microsoft Genuine Advantage Kit.
After finally getting the installation done, there are two problems:
1) It will only boot with the CD as primary boot drive. Even though on boot I let it skip over the CD boot (i.e. I don't press the key to confirm CD boot, and then it boots from the hard drive--I think this is what is happening anyway. If I change the settings so that the primary boot is from the hard drive, it won't boot up. So I've left it on CD boot as primary for now.
2) More disturbing and weird, though, is that in my list of drives, I have C:, D:, and E:, which were my original partitions. But I also have F:, G:, and H: which initially were copies of C, D, and E. I say initially, because after using the computer for a while, changes (i.e. new files and directories that I create, and updated copies of pre-existing stuff) are different on the new drives. Some of the C/D/E files are no longer accessible by certain applications (i.e. my Quicken Medical Expense Manager couldn't use the original data file that was on my E drive, saying file doesn't exist, when I could in fact find the file in the explorer). All of my System related files are on F and that is what the OS seems to be using, even though there are apparently copies also on C. And the weirdest thing is that my hard drives were more than 50% full before this happened. And, if I look at file usage on C/D/E, the total is more than 50%. However, the totals on F/G/H are ALSO more than 50% full. So it seems like the new drives must be some sort of virtual drive, but I don't know how to get things back to the original C/D/E, especially without losing any new work that seems to think it lives on F/G/H. Finally, I do web development on this computer, and since this problem started, I cannot get my local Apache service to start. I suspect it has something to do with this drive confusion, but changing my configuration file for Apache to reference the new drives doesn't fix the problem.
Basically, this is too weird for me. I can't find any reference to this kind of problem anywhere, but maybe you experts will have some idea.
I can provide additional information if needed, just let me know. Thanks!