Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help!...weirdness on my computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kyuss

kyuss

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 08 May 2005 - 02:17 AM

hi...well i should just get right to the problem....a couple of days ago i left limewire running while i went out, when i came back, my computer was horribly slow. So, i decided to run adaware and spybot. The results were that i had some stuff on my comp, which these programs 'fixed'. However, the slowness didn't go away completely, it was reduced, but it was still there. Now everyonce in awhile a get an error message stating that my virtual memory minimum is too low. So, is this a problem with my virtual memory or did i get hacked? My computer is a year and a half old, and my knowledge on computers in general is pretty low. I'm running on windows xp home edition.

thanks for any help anybody provides.

ps. kyuss rocks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:47 AM

Hello Kyuss and welcome to BC

If your virtual memory is low, then you may have a problem with space on your hard drive. Open My Computer, right click your C: drive and select properties. Please post back with the information regarding Free Space and Used Space.

Limewire, at least the free version, has spyware included in it. I would suggest you remove that program and get something else. See Clean and Infected File Sharing Programs.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:41 AM

Moreover, Kyuss, you may have downloaded an infected file, a common occurance with P2P file-sharing; a thorough scan of your hard drive with your resident anti-virus application would be a sensible activity.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 kyuss

kyuss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 02:38 PM

Thanx for the info guys, i did not know that about limewire and i have subsequently removed it from my computer. I did as u said and i think i have still have plenty of space available: 22.6 gb of used space and 14.6 gb of free space. It seems the longer i run my computer, the slower it gets. People i talk to keep on telling me that i probably got hacked, but i'm skeptical. I forgot to mention that i did do a virus scan after the problem occurred and i did find a virus which the anti-virus program removed, however it also found an infection which it couldnt fix. The problem was it was in the system restore area. It gave me specific instructions on how to remove it, which i did. But i still get horrible lagging. Suggestions?

thanx.

also is this the wrong forum to post this topic? i wasn't too sure in which area i should post it.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 02:56 PM

I would suggest that you let the people in our HiJack This forum have a look at what is going on and advise you further. Please see How to submit a Hijackthis Log. Let them have an in depth look at your operating system and advise you further.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 kyuss

kyuss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 03:18 PM

thanx for the advice leurgy, i will try to navigate my way through it.

ps. fellow canadian here eh.....i abuse ps's, dont i? haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users