Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repeating malware/trojan/adware infections

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 image_vapor

image_vapor

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:07 AM

Hi!

First time poster - I've been recommended to this site by one of my good friends, he has only the best to say. Here's my issue:

A week or so back my girlfriend got a message popping up on her screen related to downloading some antivirus software. She may or may not have clicked it to download - we can't remember at this point. The first trouble we had seemed to come from something calling itself 'antivirus 2009', which was a doozie to rid ourselves of. Then after that it seemed virtumonde reared its ugly head, and we tried to deal with that using tools found on this website (Vundofix - which detected nothing, and virtumondobegone - which found an infection and seemed to delete it. I've run both Vundofix and virtumondobegone multiple times since then, and they've both reported clear)

Since those two infections and their (apparent) deletion, the computer has exhibited a good deal of adware/malware/trojan activity. I clean the machine with adaware, spybot, and hijack_this, along with her avg free edition, things are quiet for a while, then things seem to start back up again (notably with avg alerting on activity and autohealing things, and scans showing up more crap - the most recent spybot scans have been cleaning adrevolver and doubleclick).

I have cleaned the computer with all the tools mentioned in the prep text - adaware, spybot, mcafee stinger, and housecall antivirus. I'm at a loss at this point on what to do. Below is my hijackthis log, and thanks in advance.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 12:55:43 AM, on 11/20/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16735)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\devldr32.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\BJCard\Bjmcmng.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-PhotoPrint\BJEZPRN.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\HPSHAR~1\hpgs2wnf.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: HP Print Clips - {053F9267-DC04-4294-A72C-58F732D338C0} - C:\Program Files\HP\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_framework.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GWMDMpi] C:\WINNT\GWMDMpi.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_AddToList.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_HSPrint.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Preview.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Print.html
O9 - Extra button: HP Clipbook - {58ECB495-38F0-49cb-A538-10282ABF65E7} - C:\Program Files\HP\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_extensions.dll
O9 - Extra button: HP Smart Select - {700259D7-1666-479a-93B1-3250410481E8} - C:\Program Files\HP\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_extensions.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\winnt\system32\nwprovau.dll
O12 - Plugin for .mp3: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin4.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {3CC943C7-3C99-11D4-8135-0050041A5144} (RunExeActiveX.UserControl1) - file://C:\Program Files\Gateway\HelpSpot\RunExeActiveX.CAB
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://gfx1.hotmail.com/mail/w2/pr02/resources/MSNPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {5C6698D9-7BE4-4122-8EC5-291D84DBD4A0} (Facebook Photo Uploader 4 Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/Facebo...toUploader3.cab
O16 - DPF: {5F8469B4-B055-49DD-83F7-62B522420ECC} (Facebook Photo Uploader Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/Facebo...otoUploader.cab
O16 - DPF: {99CDFD87-F97A-42E1-9C13-D18220D90AD1} (StartFirstControl.CheckFirst) - file://C:\Program Files\Gateway\HelpSpot\StartFirstControl.CAB
O16 - DPF: {CE37E095-ACFF-4380-A856-A560D389E5E1} (XPLControlProject.XPLControl) - file://C:\Program Files\Gateway\HelpSpot\XPLControl.CAB
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: Canon BJ Memory Card Manager (Bjmcmng) - CANON INC. - C:\Program Files\Canon\BJCard\Bjmcmng.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINNT\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service (ImapiService) - Roxio Inc. - C:\WINNT\System32\ImapiRox.exe
O23 - Service: Iomega App Services - Iomega Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe

--
End of file - 5314 bytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:39 AM

hi,

still need help? we will start with combofix.
read through this guide, it seems like alot but only requires a few things on your part. Combofix will even install the MS recovery console for you. follow the directions in the guide
last: post the log from the combofix run in your reply.

guide:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users