Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't access any microsoft site or windows update

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 buddyclm

buddyclm

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:34 AM

I am unable to open any site that is for microsoft. I am also unable to open windows update. Windows update and any web site that is for microsoft gives the following results:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.
To attempt fixing network connectivity problems, click Tools, and then click "Diagnose Connection Problems..."

Other options to try:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

Everything else on the internet seems to be working correctly. It is a fairly new install of windows xp pro, about 2 weeks ago. It has SP3 (was on the install cd). Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 3.0 GHZ 4 GB RAM. I am currently running a Malware Bytes Anti-Malware scan on the computer. Does anyone have any idea as to why I can't open any microsoft site? Everything it says to check above is checked and like I said earlier, I can access everything on the internet except microsoft sites. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:52 AM

download and run this program
its for connectivity

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

then try the following
Copy and paste each of these into the run box and press enter after each one, you will get a success box for some of them, so wait ten seconds between each one

regsvr32 wuapi.dll

regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

regsvr32 wucltui.dll

regsvr32 wups2.dll

regsvr32 wups.dll

regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Try Microsoft Update

#3 buddyclm

buddyclm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:02 AM

Nothing was found with the Malware Bytes Anti-Malware scan. I downloaded the winsockzp fix and when I tried to run it, it said it was not a valid Win32 application.

#4 buddyclm

buddyclm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:04 AM

I copied and pasted the list of files you said to in the run box and everything was successful except regsvr32 wups2.dll
. it failed and said the specified module could not be found

#5 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:07 AM

try this program
Dial A Fix
its basically the same but a little more
run the whole program

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System...ial-a-fix.shtml

#6 buddyclm

buddyclm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:31 PM

I downloaded and installed dial-a-fix and ran it and nothing changed.

#7 buddyclm

buddyclm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:29 AM

I also cannot open the Hi Jack This web site.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:15 AM

What are you using for your browser?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 buddyclm

buddyclm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:50 AM

IE version 6 I think it is.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:02 AM

Try updating to IE7.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 buddyclm

buddyclm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:09 PM

I can't get into any microsoft site to download new version of IE.

#12 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:20 PM

For the sake of clarity could you perhaps run this scan ?

Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and unzip into the program's folder.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results for examination
  • Click Close to exit the program.

Can you also update and rerun the malwarebytes program and post ITs report for checking?

#13 buddyclm

buddyclm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:43 PM

Super Anti-Spyware only found 8 tracking cookies. Updated Malware Bytes Anti-Malware and it didn't find anything.

#14 buddyclm

buddyclm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:32 AM

I connected to the internet by dial up and while connected that way, I can access windows update site and microsoft sites, but when I disconnect dial up and am back on high speed, they no longer work again

#15 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:25 AM

Could just be an IE issue. try this

go to START-->RUN

type "CMD" without the quotes

type "ping www.microsoft.com"

see what comes back, if you are able to ping the site and get a response, then try using a different browser, like firefox, opera, chrome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users