Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

physically broken front usb port

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jman1717

jman1717

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:51 PM

have a compaq presario sr1120nx desktop XP. my son physically broke the usb port on the front. took it apart and the metal prongs are all broken. the ports on the back do not work either now. It apparently destroyed everything that tied in to this usb (memory card reader, sd reader. so if I just buy this replacement part#5069-6325 ($20) and install it will it fix my problem, or could it be the mother board? The reason i ask is the mother board has 4 ports built in to it. I figured they would still work, but they do not. hate to try to fix it and it be something else, when i'm going to get a laptop on BF. Just trying to get it fixed so i can give it to my nephew. thanks for any suggestions

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:06 PM

Jman, I cannot help you with your USB port issue, but I can suggest that you read the following before BF. Grinler posted it a few days ago.

15 Tips for Buying a Black Friday Notebook (or Not Buying One)

#3 jman1717

jman1717
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:26 PM

thank you queen, ROLL TIDE

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:31 PM

The USB ports on the front are connectedto the motherboard by a five pin connector, if you disconnect these connectors it may work. If you don't know which wires they are try following the wires from the front port. If it doesn't work, then you may have shorted out the ciruit.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jman1717

jman1717
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:29 AM

i disconnected the 5 pin wire running to the motherboard and rebooted. the ports on the back still do not work. under device manager it says they are working correctly. I must have shorted out the circuit llike you said dc3. now what is the procedure to fix it. replace what? thanks

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:36 AM

Assuming the USB ports are fried, the easiest solution is to get a USB card and install it in a free PCI slot(assuming you have a slot open) and get another card reader. Total cost should be about $30 US.

Just an example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815166001

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820192504

Make sure the replacement card has the right internal connector to mate with you front mount card reader.

Edited by dpunisher, 20 November 2008 - 09:36 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users