Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Activex scripting will not work....unusual problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 asaw3157

asaw3157

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:29 PM

I have been working on computers on the side for a couple of years now, but I have run into a dead end on this situation. The clients computer I am working on was recently infected with numerous viruses, hijackers, and spyware. After finally getting everything cleaned up, internet explorer appears to be corrupted. I can't get any activex scripting to work. I can't load windows update website, yahoo mail, pcpitstop, etc. All settings are correct, I have checked and double checked that. I have done a reinstall of internet explorer. I have run all windows repair utilities. I have uninstalled and reinstalled flash player, java, and shockwave. Yet my problem is still the same. Has anyone ever experienced a problem like this before? I am trying to avoid a reformat and clean install of windows if at all possible, simply because my client refuses to do that. All help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:51 AM

Hello asaw3157 and welcome to BC

Have you tried a program like CCleaner to get rid of all the temp files and junk files?

In Internet Explorer, go to Tools>Internet Options>General tab>Settings>View Objects. Do you see anything in there described as damaged or corrupted? If you want to really get down and dirty you can delete anything in there and they will be reinstalled on demand.

Also, have a look at Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Consider posting a HiJack This log in case some of that malware is still lurking.
How to submit a Hijackthis Log

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 asaw3157

asaw3157
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 04:02 PM

First of all, the only damaged objects was this one:
{B9191F79-5613-4C76-AA2A-398534BB8999}

I posted a HJT log here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/HJT...157-t18149.html

I have CCleaner, and it has been run. Everything is cleaned up. I guess I will wait for word on the HJT log and go from there.

#4 asaw3157

asaw3157
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 04:11 PM

Oh, and I tried the link for the Troubleshooter, but could not get it loaded...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users