Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing from removable media

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 djd1

djd1

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:56 PM

New to linux but have used windows xp for years. If I want to install a program such as Belarc advisor or PC Wizard, etc to xp I would insert the cd or thumb drive into the computer, locate it in explorer then run it to install it to my computer. How do I do the same thing with lixux mandriva or kubuntu or ubuntu which are the 3 os I have installed in old computers?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 djsi

djsi

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:18 PM

these programs you speak of are designed too be installed on a windows operating system,therefore they can not be installed on a linux machine.the synaptics package manager is where linux packages are stored and installed from.

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:40 PM

these programs you speak of are designed too be installed on a windows operating system,therefore they can not be installed on a linux machine.the synaptics package manager is where linux packages are stored and installed from.

You can install and run Windows programs, but you need to use an emulator
such as Wine or CrossOver. You can get similar output from the "lshw" command.
In a terminal window become root (or use sudo) and type:
lshw | less
If you want to save the output to a file:
lshw > specs.txt

Your distro may not have "lshw" installed by default.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users