Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird (and extremely irritating) wireless network problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gains

Gains

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:49 PM

I’m having regular problems detecting and connecting to my wireless network from my desktop PC (running XP home).
I have a D-Link DSL-G624Twireless modem/router connected to my phone socket, literally in the next room (less than 5m in a straight line, with only 1 wall separating it from the D-Link USB wireless adaptor connected to the PC).

The problem goes like this:

I boot up my PC and notice that the wireless network icon in the system tray has a red cross through it, showing that it isn’t connected.
I right-click the icon and select ‘Repair’, and get the usual ‘Windows Repair Network Connection’ dialogue box, as it runs through disabling wireless adaptor, enabling wireless adaptor etc. I’ll then get a pop-up notification from the system tray to say that wireless networks have been detected.

When I click this, I then get the box below, showing one or more of my neighbours’ networks but not mine:

Posted Image

If I click ‘Refresh network list’ repeatedly, after around 5-10 refreshes my network will suddenly appear in the list, apparently at full signal strength (see below image. My network is LE20SC):

Posted Image

I select my network and click the ‘Connect’ button, which brings up the following dialogue box which is pre-populated with my network password:

Posted Image

After clicking ‘Connect’ once more, I then get the ‘Wireless Network Connection’ box with the green progress bar:

Posted Image

The little connection animation runs, and the green bar scrolls across the screen as if it’s doing something. This continues for 1-2 minutes, and then suddenly the box disappears and I’m presented with the network list again, which is now either showing no networks at all, or just showing one of my neighbours’ networks:

Posted Image

If I refresh the network list again enough times, sure enough my network will suddenly pop up with full signal strength, but any attempt to connect to it yields the same results as above and the cycle continues.
Sometimes it takes up to ˝ hour of constant refreshing and trying to connect, over and over before suddenly I get ‘Acquiring network address’ and it connects with ‘Signal strength – Excellent’. Other times it may only take 5 minutes. Sometimes I just leave it and suddenly it’ll start connecting all on its own, always with an apparently ‘Excellent’ signal strength.

Rebooting the PC makes no difference, and neither does powering down the router for a few minutes and then powering it back up again.
Whilst all this is going on, all of the correct lights on the router are showing as if everything is normal. It’s also worth noting that the router/desktop NEVER drops a connection once the initial obstacle of actually connecting is overcome.

Can anybody help?

Edited by Gains, 19 November 2008 - 06:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bama_fan

bama_fan

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:46 AM

wow....if there is no obvious signal interference i might try updating the firmware of the router (probably won't help) or send it back for RMA.......
Posted Image

#3 Gains

Gains
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:50 PM

Are there no settings that I could check first?

If not, how would I go about upgrading the firmware? Returning to manufacturer isn't an option as it's over a year old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users