Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gutting my case

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jaye

jaye

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:19 PM

hey all, got a machine i use primarily for gamin that ive already rebuilt once with limited success... initial build worked pretty smooth. id say i ran it for about 2 years... upgraded the mobo, graphics card & processer and it ran, but was anything but reliable. programs would crash on a regular basis & the whole thing would hard reset pretty often... thought maybe it was heat related so i sprung for a new case & CPU heatsink setup. got everything swapped out and experienced the same issues. (but it looked alot purdier!)

now my plan is to tear out everything internal, save the heatsink... my main concerns going forward with new components are that i dont have the best understanding of whats compatable with what & how much thougth i should put into certain feature selections.

i guess ill just say that i only know enough to be dangerous, & would love to be directed to some good reading material on matching up a motherboard to ram & a vid card as far as speed, memory and pickin specs on them for my intents & purposes (semi demanding games)

thanks a ton in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:49 PM

What games, in particular?

Louis

#3 jaye

jaye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:00 PM

well, before i mothballed the thing, i was mostly playin SupCom & SupCom forged alliance.... i was lookin at getting the newer command & conquer, but the way it was running, i put it off... :thumbsup:

Edited by jaye, 19 November 2008 - 07:01 PM.

#4 jaye

jaye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:37 PM

what would i use to determine my motherboard northbridge & southbridge selection?

also, if i dont intend to upgrage past 4gig of ram, would my best option be 2x 2G or 4x 1G?

Edited by jaye, 19 November 2008 - 08:39 PM.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:34 AM

First off, when determining which motherboard to use, you need to know which CPU you want. Second, you will want to know if you're going to SLI/Crossfire. Third, you need a price point. The newest boards retail for $300 but there are some good selections at the $150-$200 range. As for the memory, the 2X2GB would be the better solution.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users