Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reload An Acer Laptop After Replacing Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 phoenix79

phoenix79

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:18 PM

I had to put a new hard drive in my laptop which is an Acer Aspire 3680 which was running Windows Vista Home Basic. I never made recovery disk for my system so I purchased the recovery disks from Acer. I put the new hard drive in and went to load the recovery disks. Nothing happend. So I called Acer and they told me I had to download a file that would format the hard drive to their specs. The file was called InitialHDD. I put this disk in and it asked if I wanted to format the drive so I said yes. It took a couple of minutes and it said "you can use Acer backup disk to restore your system now". Then under that it gives me a command promp of A:\>_ I put the disk it at this point and nothing happens. I restart the computer with the disk in and nothing happens. I have gone into bios and changed the boot order so the cd rom loads first and nothing happens. I have called Acer and they will not help me because it is out of warranty. I need to get this up and running. I need help!!

P.S. I know that the hard drive is good because I loaded Windows XP on it and I had no problems.

Edited by phoenix79, 19 November 2008 - 05:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:51 PM

Are you certain that the Optical Drive is in good condition?

I'm might try booting from an External CD drive or a USB Drive if that's possible
with the software that they've provided you. You may also want to check out the instructions
for the CD they provided.

#3 Tbone1970

Tbone1970

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:58 PM

The command promp A>.....

Means the computer wants a floppy disk. A CD runs off the D drive.

#4 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:32 PM

The point I was trying to make is that the Optical Drive may be having issues if it's not running when you have a cd in on boot.
You might try putting a Live Linux Cd in, or a retail copy of XP and see if those will boot. Then you'll know if the drive is working or not.

It may also be that the "initialHDD" file is trying to run some version of DOS in which case you might get an A prompt.

You'll want to know from the manufacturer how to run that file. I couldn't find anyrhing on Acer's website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users