Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having a problem with wireless and wired network

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 BmanC

BmanC

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:26 PM

Hi everyone, I have a main desktop computer (Windows XP) that has an eithernet cable that is hooked up to my actiontec-G router. Then I have a laptop (Vista Premium) and another desktop (Vista basic) that are both connected to the router with wireless cards. I want to print to one computer (see below).

-All three computers go online with no probs
-The 2 wireless computers have an established network connection at each computer
-Eithernet cabled computer has 2 printers with usb cables and both printers are set up as shared.

My problem: I can't establish a connection with the 2 wireless computers and the wired computer.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've been searching for days.

Thanks,
Brian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:34 PM

Does the main computer have a firewall? If yes, what is the name of the firewall?

#3 BmanC

BmanC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:06 PM

I have a Windows firewall and my system has the Windows XP with Service Pack 3 installed.

I checked the Firewall settings and when I checked the file and printer sharing, each of the settings are My network (subnet) only. Should I have it set on custom list and manually put in the individual IP #'s for each computer?

Brian

Edited by BmanC, 19 November 2008 - 04:10 PM.

#4 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:10 PM

Did you use the "Set up a home or small office network" wizard to enable file and printer sharing?

#5 BmanC

BmanC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:13 PM

I believe I originally tried the Set Up home network, but I have went through and manually set the printer to share as well. I honestly don't remember. Where can I start again?

I added on my firewall settings on my last post via edit. Here it is again.

I checked the Firewall settings and when I checked the file and printer sharing, each of the settings are My network (subnet) only. Should I have it set on custom list and manually put in the individual IP #'s for each computer?

#6 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:24 PM

The "My Network" is okay. You don't have to enter each IP.

Let's check for the obvious first. Answer these questions:

Is the Workgroup name the same in all computers?
Does each computer in the network have a unique name?
In the Windows Firewall, is there an exception for File and Printer Sharing?

#7 BmanC

BmanC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:31 PM

Thanks Lloyd for getting back so quick.

All 3 computers have the same workgroup name. The computers in the network have different names as well.

As far as the firewall, I have it on. When I click on Exceptions next to file and printer sharing it has a column that says NO under group policy and the box is has a check in the box. I can click on edit and that's where I see My network (subnet) only.
Brian

#8 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:40 PM

Okay, have you tried installing the printers in the laptops? They don't immediately get detected if they're shared.

For Windows Vista:

After you have installed a network printer, you need to add a connection to the printer for each computer on the network.

1. Open Printers by clicking the Start button, click Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound, and then click Printers.
2. On the toolbar, click Add a printer.
3. In the Add Printer Wizard, select Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer, and then follow the steps in the wizard.

#9 BmanC

BmanC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:32 PM

I did exactly what you mentioned in the 3 steps. The wired computer can access the other 2 wireless computers factory printer software and the 2 wireless computers can access each other in the same way, and they show as a network. But I can't get either of the 2 wireless computers to be able to add another printer via wireless.
Again, my printers are both hooked up via usb cables on the wired computer, but it is hooked up by an ethernet cable to the router. Does it seem like I could have a firewall issue?

Brian

#10 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:46 PM

It looks like a firewall issue but there could be other issues.

Do you have an antivirus application? If yes, check to see if there is a firewall program integrated in the antivirus.

What do you mean by "can't access"?

EDIT: This might help:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx

Edited by Lloyd T, 19 November 2008 - 06:49 PM.

#11 BmanC

BmanC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:52 PM

What do you mean by "can't access"? I mean that I can see the printers when I'm on the wired computer looking at the wireless computers and that I can do the same from wireless to wireless, but I can't add a printer, nor see the printer on the wired computer from the wireless computers.

I have on my computer:
-Avira Anti Virus Personal Free Edition
-Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free Edition
-Super Anti-Spyware Free Edition
-Spyware Blaster Protection

I don't believe they have firewalls. Again, I'm using the Windows Firewall and for now, I have the Verizon Actiontec firewall turned off.

Brian

Edited by BmanC, 19 November 2008 - 06:54 PM.

#12 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:01 PM

Have you checked the link I gave you?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx

#13 BmanC

BmanC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:03 PM

Yes I did and I believe that's what I used when I set up my two wireless computers. I will recheck them and reply back asap.

Thanks again!

#14 BmanC

BmanC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:15 PM

Lloyd, Thanks for the link. I went through it on the 2 wireless Vista computers and I had them set up that way, but I still can't add a printer from my XP wired computer to the wireless computers. At this time I even turned off the firewall and no difference. When I'm on the XP wired computer I can go to add a printer and select a printer from the 2 wireless computers which tells me my computer sees the other computers, but they can't see the non-wireless computer. Plus when I go to network on the 2 wireless computers it shows the 2 computers in network with the router, but nothing on my wired computer.

Any other ideas?

Brian

#15 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:18 PM

Where are the printers attached?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users