Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting something not in add/remove list

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Siouxze

Siouxze

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:30 PM

Hi,
I have an old Windows XP, home edition. Mine is a Sony Vaio desktop, about 5-6 years old.
I reinstalled my C drive, just as I originally got it, because it had gotten junky and slow over the years.
On my desktop are icons I don't think I will be needing, such as Internet Access, AOL Broadband, AOL & Internet Free Trial, and Vaio Special Offers.
I don't see any of these in the Add/Remove Programs List. I know if I send the icon to the trash bin, that I am not deleting the actual file.
Should I follow the target path, (right click icon, properties, shortcut tab, target) can I go there and delete the folder? Will I have gotten it all? Is it safe?
On the Internet Access, whose target path is: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Internet Access", I won't be deleting my ability to connect to the internet, will I? I use a local ISP provider.
Thanks for the help as I try to clean up unwanted things that are taking up room.
Siouxze in TX

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:05 PM

I haven't tried it myself but this utility is on 46 best XP freeware list
decrapifier

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#3 Siouxze

Siouxze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:00 PM

Hmm. I actually downloaded this a couple of years ago, but was quite unsure how to manage the results. Perhaps I should look at it again.

#4 Siouxze

Siouxze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:24 PM

I downloaded and used the decrapifier, and not only did it get rid of the things I mentioned, but I also used it to get rid of a few other items. It freed up 6% of my C drive space.
Thanks for the suggestion!

#5 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:31 PM

I downloaded and used the decrapifier, and not only did it get rid of the things I mentioned, but I also used it to get rid of a few other items. It freed up 6% of my C drive space.
Thanks for the suggestion!

You're welcome. If it worked so well for you maybe I should check it out myself. :thumbsup:

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users