Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not access internet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nathanbradin

nathanbradin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:25 PM

I need help... I have 4 computers connected together with Linksys wired router. Windows XP Professional. Recently one computer seemed to have some type of spyware. The computer has McAfee antivirus software. The computers have fixed IP between them. The problem started yesterday when a ballon message popped up on the bottom right and said I had been infected with spyware or something. It looked like an official windows message and by clicking it was going to scan my computer and download software from some leading antivirus company. I clicked it but got out before downloading anything to my computer. Anyway the message would continue to pop up constantly. Then when trying to access Internet Explorer it would redirect me to some fake page, often with the title of what I wanted but was not the true page. I noticed the browser would say www.go. something. So from there I found that Windows Defender may be able to clean my computer. I had to install it to USB drive then to computer as IE would not access the true web page. It found several things (8 issues) and I had them corrected. I think it fixed one problem only to lead to another. I do not get any pop up message now about being infected, but nothing accesses the internet. In fact IE does not work and shows some type of dll.sensor something error. MS Outlook can not connect, even Windos Defender can not update. I can not roll back windows... says its not available. Finally I decided to remove Windows Defender thinking it was conflicting and even shut down McAfee. Still same error and no access to the internet. My network is still connected and the individual computers are working and talking to each other. Internet works fine on the other computers. I am thinking that when Windows Defender cleaned up the problem it took something I needed causing the current issue. I have ran the diagnosis and have the full xp netdiag file but do not understand it.

Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:01 AM

Hi nathanbradin,

You will ultimately need to clean all four computers. To begin with be sure the one you know is infected is disconnected from the others. You may need to transfer some installation programs from one of the other computers via cd.

Please do the following:

1) Clean out your temporary internet files and temp files. This is important to prevent viruses from simply reinstalling themselves. If you have CCleaner, using the Run Cleaner button will do the same thing but will also include all your cookies, history and index.dat files.

Go to "Start" -> "Run" and type in the box: "cleanmgr". Let it scan your system for files to remove. Make sure these 3 are checked and then press "Ok" to remove:

* Temporary Files
* Temporary Internet Files
* Recycle Bin

2) Next please download the installation program for Spybot S&D, install it (without TeaTimer or disable TT), update it and run it. Be sure to have it fix anything it finds. Use the instructions at Spybot S&D

3) When you finish with the above, please continue by installing MalwareBytes. Update it and run it with the settings as described below. If you end up with a log, please post it back here. The instructions are as follows:

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.

4) When you have done the above scans, please do one of these online scans.5) Then install and run McAfee Avert Stinger

Any information you get from these scans, please post it back here.
Thanks.

Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users