Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win log on screen problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 islandgirl100

islandgirl100

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:05 PM

We have Win XP Home on a gateway laptop. We always 'shut down", never log off. We don't think we ever set up accounts or passwords. Yesterday when turned on it shows Win Log on Screen wanting a username and password, which we don't have. We think our grandaughter may have "logged off" the last time she used it instead of using "shut down". We don't have a password or different accounts set up and no reset ID cd. How can we access this computer reseting or getting rid of the Win Log on screen? We are new to this forum but not new computer users.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:12 PM

Hi Islandgirl100, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Usually if you don't have a password assigned you can get past this by hitting enter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:14 PM

Logging off would not cause it to prompt you to log in when you turn the computer on. Have you tried hitting enter??

If just hitting enter doesnt work, try typing in Administrator and leave password blank and hit enter.

If that doesnt work let us know and we can try to press into the situation further.

If you are able to log on, goto start than open the control panel.

In control panel click User Accounts

Click on the users that are listed in there, if there is a password, remove it. Save your settings and restart the PC
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

#4 islandgirl100

islandgirl100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:55 PM

OMG, feeling extra, extremely, over the top duh stupid but ever so grateful! My dh laptop so I figured he tried (whatever) everything to get it to work. I was looking deeper, like F10 resetting default settings during startup, searching online finding maybe need to password reset cd. Guess what! Yep, just hitting enter with log on blank worked! I checked user accounts and no password listed to remove, so good to go. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Greatly relieved for your fast replies, offers to further help if needed and that it was such an easy fix!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users