Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen and error codes

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 iron mum

iron mum

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:09 AM

For the last few days my computer has been out of action, every time I switch her on I get a blue screen wit the message telling me the computer has detected an error and has shut down to prevent damage.
I getthe following messages...
STOP: 0X0000008E (0C0000005, OXB6D88082, 0XB61EFBA0, 0X0000000
SDACTMON2K . SYS - ADDRESS B6D88082 base at B6D87000, DATE STAMP 491800bb

OR

STOP: 0X0000008E (0X0000005, 0XBABE1082, 0XB68ECBA0, 0X00000000
SDACTMON2K . SYS - ADDRESS BABE1082 base at BABE0000 DATE STAMP 491800bb

OR

STOP:0X0000008E (0X0000005, 0XBAC19082, 0XB653DBA0, 0X00000000
SDACTMON2K .SYS - ADDRESS BAC19082 base at BAC18000, DATE STAMP 491800bb

What is the SDACTMON2K . SYS and more importently what is wrong with my computer? I can't figure out what the problem is, can anyone help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:25 AM

Im afraid of what this could be.

Have you recently opened a file that was received through msn messenger?

If not have you recently installed any new hardware such as soundcard, graphics card etc?

Are you able to boot into safe mode?

Edited by Emu1616, 19 November 2008 - 09:29 AM.

~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:31 AM

For the last few days my computer has been out of action, every time I switch her on I get a blue screen wit the message telling me the computer has detected an error and has shut down to prevent damage.
I getthe following messages...
STOP: 0X0000008E (0C0000005, OXB6D88082, 0XB61EFBA0, 0X0000000
SDACTMON2K . SYS - ADDRESS B6D88082 base at B6D87000, DATE STAMP 491800bb

What is the SDACTMON2K . SYS and more importently what is wrong with my computer? I can't figure out what the problem is, can anyone help.

Can you find the file C:\Program Files\SpywareDetector\SDActMon2K.sys? If so, it looks like a spyware issue causing your problems.

The following thread should be of help to you:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/5vhtxp

#4 iron mum

iron mum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:32 PM

Hi and thank you for your help.
The only two things I installed recently was a nvidia 9600gt graphics card and Internet Explorer 8.
The card was my first thought but turns out not too be the case, the problem only really started after I installed IE 8 so I belive this is my culprit.
I have Spyware detector and Panda internet security 2008 both fully up to date but I guess that dosn't mean a lot.
I was able to find the SDACTMON2K and the link you gave me DaffyKantReed is very helpfull.
Hopefully now I can fix this.

#5 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:52 PM

Post back if you get this fixed or if you require more help.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#6 iron mum

iron mum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:30 AM

Hi their, I removed Spyware Detector and so far no problems with my computer (touch wood)
The one enoyance is that I want to run Sisoftware but it tells me it's cant be found, I downloaded Siso again but it can't install due to the program being their already.
I've try to get Siso to uninstall but it can't, I download micrsofts clean installer and that didn't help so i've gone through my folders and deleted all Siso I could find but still no luck.
Anyone got ideas and does anyone know of a good program for cleaning and helping to keep my computer running smoothly.

#7 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:51 AM

Hi Iron mum, I would like to help you out with your future experience in protecting your PC from malicious software.

You see, sadly there are such things and rogue anti-spyware, or basically non-legit malicious anti-spyware. What these programs do is this.... yes, they scan your pc, yes they will remove malicious software from your pc, no they DO NOT clean your pc.

Spyware Detector is flagged as malicious software, by many reputable and trust worthy anti-spyware. Spybot S&D see it as malicious.

What do i mean by it does not clean your pc? Well, this particular program is flagged because it will install itself on your pc without you even realizing it! It than continues to clean other spyware off, but it also puts its own on there, which prompts popups and other things that make you want to buy their product, sadly, even after you spend the 30-50 dollars to purchase this product it continues to load your computer with crap. This is considered a smitfraud virus. I also know that smitfraudfix and roguefix both flag this program and spyware and will remove it.

I suggest you READ and FOLLOW these instructions on properly removing Spyware Detector from your PC.

My other suggestiong is to goto www.google.com and search for reviews for other programs you use, or if you would like to, post on here what you use and we can look over your programs and tell you if they are legit.

To answer your other quesiton, I would just not worry about Sisoftware, if you have to, run the installer, let it install, than download a program that I like to use called Revo Uninstaller Use that to uninstall Sisoftware, it will completely remove it.

So now you have a good program to use for uninstalling unwanted software, stick to it, I do not like add or remove programs, alot of junk is left over.

So now you wish to use a good antispyware, well your in luck, it just so happens that one of the best Anti-Spyware programs out there is FREE. Please download and install Spybot S&D.

And as for AntiSpyware, I suggest purchasing a version of ESET NOD32 AntiVirus Home Edition, I have had a very pleasant and successful time with that program, and find it to be one of the best out there. If you wish to use FREEWARE, there are many that you can choose from.. you have AVG AntiVirus which is legit and good but not the best, or there is Avast! AntiVurs Free Home Edition.

Keep in mind these are all IN MY OPINION, but if I were you, I would purchase a copy of NOD32.

Always research something before using it, or you could end up losing space, time, and money.

Edited by Box In A Bag, 20 November 2008 - 10:06 AM.

Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

#8 iron mum

iron mum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for your reply, what you said made me think, I've lost faith in Panda IS and am looking for a new antivirus.
It looks as if i'll be wiping my drive after all as I sorted my problem with Spyware Doctor but now have a proplem with the APPFLT.SYS which from what i've found is a Panda file, I get the feeling somthing is trying to wipe out my system.
I've been looking at Bit Defender and the reviews are good anyone here use it? is it any good?

#9 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 05:00 PM

I USED it, it gave me problems many times, it has great success with antivirus, but in my experience it is a resource hog, and to be honest some other antivirus have it flagged with a trojan... I did not like it, too many errors, but it is legit, and it does have a good database... NOD32 for me worked the best, found viruses on my test machine that avast, avg, bitdefender, and kaspersky missed. I will be working on reviews of each product, and keep in mind, these are going to be in my opinion, I will also post it on the forums with the moderators and admins permission, I do not see a problem with this, as long as it is STRESSED that it is IN MY OPINION and does not reflect on Bleepingcomputer.com and its other members.

But in my personal experience, I would use ESET Nod32
Posted Image

#10 iron mum

iron mum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:12 PM

Just when I fix on I get another,
Spyware error I fixed, then a error in the APPFLT file found it to be a Panda IS file, fixed that now i'm getting a 0x0000001A error (my ram?)
I didn't have problems with ram till 20 mins ago what's the next error going to be?

#11 iron mum

iron mum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:13 PM

I managed to get my computer up and running again but the files and such were a mess, missing renamed and others that i'm sure wern't their before.
I played it safe and did a reinstall of xp, my importent stuff was stored and an external so I wasn't loosing anything good.
Box In A Bag, I took you up on your advice, now have Spybot S&D. (always liked that programe, don't know I never thought of it) and have Revo Uninstaller it's a lot better than Microsofts clean installer and i'm also looking at ESET NOD32 AntiVirus might just give it a try.
Thank you for your help :thumbsup:

#12 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:18 PM

Not a problem at all, glad to see you are using good legit software, and it is all very easy to use and I guarantee you will have little if no problems if you stick to it.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users