Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access denied in HP_Administrator profile

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CRK

CRK

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:21 AM

Not sure what happened but when my wife logged into the computer, it asked for windows updates. She said she clicked yes and the system restarted. I noticed that all the pictures that we had saved under the HP_administrator profile are missing by doing a search. I can't access the profile as it gives me access denied. I tried to see if I can take ownership of it but no security tab. I checked folder size and it says 0 MB and 0 folders. Anyone encounter this problem? I know the files are still in there because I ran a backup of the computer and it displayed the files.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:09 AM

Do you know what updates where installed at the time?

I'd move the pictures to a different folders and install the updates, just to keep you system protected for the meantime.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 CRK

CRK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:41 AM

I wasn't present at the time but she said a windows update came up and she clicked yes. It did some file installs than rebooted. The pictures were in the HP_Administrator folder and I can't access them now. I tried it in safe mode but still no luck. I lost over 600 vacation/kids pictures. She thinks it was some kind of HP windows update?!?

#4 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:32 AM

The best way to view Windows XP updates is in Add or Remove Programs, in the Control Panel.
  • Start -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs
  • Now if you look at the top, there should be a checkbox to Show Updates that isnít usually checked by default. Check this box and the screen should update to show various updates for programs, and for Windows as well.
  • Windows updates will be under the Windows XP - Software Updates section.
From here determine what date the Updates where installed from the right hand side and list them in your next reply.

In regards to the pictures, restore you computer back to a day before the updates where installed, then move the pictures to a new folder, the restore back to present day.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:13 AM

If you can remember the file name of any of those pictures you can use the search feature to locate them. I suspect that the files are still there, just hidden.

As Emu has suggested, you could also try to do a System Restore, here are instructions if you need them.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users