Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

running Xp and win 2000 together

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dumduck

dumduck

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:16 AM

Hi.
Time for me to upgrade O/S, I have two Hdd installed the primary has Win 2K the secondary is used for back ups, I want to install XP on the system and run both with a dual boot option, keeping the primary drive as it is & making it the slave and making the slave the primary re-formating it and installing XP on it. How do I do this correctly.
regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:21 AM

I would simply reconfigure the jumpers on the drives correctly and make sure they are on the correct connecters on the cable (assuming they are IDE drives) - master on the end connector and slave in the middle. As you install XP you will be asked as to which hard drive to install it to. Make the correct choice at that time, and that's about it really. I believe that XP will give you your booting options automatically. At least this sort of arrangement has worked for me before.

If for some reason XP does not give you the booting options, then you can simply modify the boot.ini file within XP. This is relatively simple. You will simply add a second line to it: It is found at Start > right click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery > Edit

It will probably look something like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

In the above example, there is only one booting option: Windows XP Professional and the computer will not display an options page while booting. If you copy the one line and then modify it to something like the following it should work:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

In the above example the options screen will be displayed for 30 seconds. If no choice is made the computer will default into the #1 partition: Windows XP Professional, but you can set up any way you wish. I configured my booting options page to display for only 3 seconds as I rarely use the second operating system and I don't want to stare at the booting options for a long time.

When you finish installing XP, make a backup copy of your boot.ini file before altering, and post it here for exact advice on how to edit it to suit your needs.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:47 AM

I wouldn't even move the drives. I fail to see what would be gained by changing the drives...the boot screen will present both operating systems when the system is first turned on...and either one can be designated as the default by editing the boot.ini file (if that's desireable).

Win 2K is on the first drive, as it should be...and the boot files are on that disk.

You say that you want to install XP on this second drive...and what about the current contents of that drive...what do you intend to do about those?

What is the mechanism you intend to use to install XP...a MS XP CD, recovery CDs, exactly what, please?

Bottom line: If you attempt to install XP on a hard drive which already has data on it, you may run into problems (depending on your version of XP). And you may delete files which you deem valuable, unless those files are moved elsewhere.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 November 2008 - 08:49 AM.

#4 dumduck

dumduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:29 AM

Many thanks to you both,
Hamluis.
The idea is to upgrade to XP home and use it as my primary O/S, but still keeping win 2k as it has lots of accumulated info and progs gathered over the years. my second drive as explained above is used for back ups, I now want to reformat it and install the new OEM copy of XP (just Arrived) on it and use it as c: drive I will then use the original win 2K drive as my dual boot option, and adding an external HDD for backups.
regards
brian

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:27 AM

Not that it's impossible to do otherwise...but it's generally recommended that the older O/S be the first one installed in dual-boots.

Good luck :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users