Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I've setup XP maybe 8 times now.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Drummer4life2020

Drummer4life2020

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:04 AM

First things first.

--A while back I had installed a Logitech webcam to talk to the folks across the country. All was fine and dandy until I got my hands on an Akai Professional MPD32 Midi Controller Pad. The pad was NOT being recognized by my synthesizer software. I call Akai and was told that it was a Logitech driver standing in the way of my Controller Pad being recognized by my software...the Pad hold a normal Midi USB connection. (Due to the faulty webcam driver, my midi pad wasn't showing up in the list of external components.)

The faulty webcam driver is called LVUSBSTA.sys. In an incredibly moronic maneuver on my part, I went into C://windows/system32/drivers and went slap happy on every driver under the LV name. Well...lesson learned I suppose.

After this little rampage I was greeted with all exclamation marks in my Audio drivers tab in my Device manager. I then tried to install a Sound Blaster Live card to see if this would make any difference. It did not. I then thought to myself...well to hell with all my files and stuff....I'm just going to reinstall windows. I took out both of my hardrives...installed one of them in...and flattened it.

I then installed Windows XP. Over....and over...and over again.

--When I boot up, DIRECTLY under where it says "DMI Pool Data" it says "boot from CD" twice...then REDOES my setup. This is hell.

I've gone into my BIOS...and under the Advanced BIOS tab, changed my boot priority setting to Hard Disk.

What should I do...please help. I just want to play with my Midi Controller...I bought this thing three weeks ago...and I hate to watch an expensive piece of machine collect dust while I sit helplessly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:28 AM

Perhaps I am missing something here, but if you remove the install CD it cannot boot from the CD as there will be nothing there to boot from.

Again, perhaps I missing your point.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:25 AM

You could try not touching the keyboard when it says that?

Removing the XP Disk will probably help too?

:thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by Abacus 7, 19 November 2008 - 10:46 AM.

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:48 AM

Often the most simple things are ignored?

:thumbsup:

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:04 AM

Your information is not very clear as to what exactly you have done. Let me see if I understand this, you took the two hdds out of your case, reinstalled one? What do you mean by "flattened it"?

Did you format the hdd before you tried to reinstall the OS?

Are these hdds connected by a IDE data cable, if so do you have the hdd jumper set as master, and is the hdd on the end connector?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:32 AM

It would seem quite obvious that the Member has fallen into the Trap of Windows asking to tap any key, then after that it installs over. It can be a Vicious Loop that goes on and on.

Removing the Disk will stop it!

:thumbsup: :flowers:

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:50 AM

Another possibility here is that XP has not finished installing.

When you first start installing windows, you need to have the computer boot from the CD, so you press a key to boot from the CD when asked to.

However, later in the install process, XP will reboot, and this time you do NOT want the computer to boot from the CD, so do NOT press a key at this time. The computer should continue the install process on it's own.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:00 AM

Another possibility here is that XP has not finished installing.

When you first start installing windows, you need to have the computer boot from the CD, so you press a key to boot from the CD when asked to.

However, later in the install process, XP will reboot, and this time you do NOT want the computer to boot from the CD, so do NOT press a key at this time. The computer should continue the install process on it's own.

That is correct. Boot from the cd to begin installation. Then sit on your hands if you have too, in order to resist the instructions to "press any key to boot from CD". It seems like it's forever, but in a few seconds the installation will continue.

I'd like to add though, after Windows announces that the installation is complete and it's restarting to bring up Windows, that would be a good time to remove the CD. Otherwise, I think it'll come up to install again. I don't remember if Windows will "remember" that you've already installed it and ignore the boot CD still in the drive.

If you miss it, I think there's the Escape key or an option to exit setup. When you do that, remove the CD and Windows should start to load. If not, Cont/Alt/Delete should restart everything okay. (If memory serves.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users