Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Sharing on Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mr-Bee19

Mr-Bee19

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:12 AM

Hi all,

I am having trouble seeing one computer on my network.

I have 3 computers on my home wireless network. Every computer has Windows XP running on it going back to a Linksys Wireless router. For some reason I have NEVER been able to figure this out!

I can see all the computers on the network in the network neighbourhood and I can connect to one computer to view files but I cannot access the other one where I get a access denied message. I'm trying to connect to this computer because this is where the printer is and I want to connect to it.

The printer has been shared and everything and EVERY computer has File and Print sharing enabled. This is a problem I have NEVER been able to figure out why I can connect to some and not the others when they have the same settings.

Another weird thing is that I can ping the one computer, but I can't even ping the computer with the printer. I don't know how my computer cannot see it.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Matt

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:36 AM

Check the settings/protocols active on each system...they should be identical.

Did you set up each computer...by using the XP Network Wizard?

Louis

#3 Mr-Bee19

Mr-Bee19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:16 PM

All the network settings should be the same, but I confirm once I get home.

As for setting up the computers. I just installed the Wireless NICs and then connected to our network. I don't go through the XP setup wizard

I will update you when I get home. Thanks for your response.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:34 PM

http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_home_network.htm

Ignore the part about ICS.

When you use the Network Wizard to set up your connection, it will take care of that automatically. When prompted for how you connect...put the mark in residential gateway (that's what your router is). You will not have a host computer as you would have if you were using strictly ICS. The residential gateway is the key device.

Louis

#5 Mr-Bee19

Mr-Bee19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:43 PM

Hi Louis,

I did what you told me, I created a connection on my computer first, then took my USB Stick with the netsetup file and ran it on my dads computer (with the printer) and I still cannot connect to it, nor see it on the network, I can't even ping it! Do you usually have to restart the computer after doing this?

Anymore ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users