Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best protection money can't buy?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:00 AM

What's the best free stuff? General consensus seems to be that a person should not run more than 1 active anti-malware program at a time (I was chastized when I told someone I was running AVG, Ad-Aware and Spybot as my "suite"), which really means you only need 1 firewall and 1 anti-virus for general purpose innoculation.

Of course, specific removal tools are for specific cases... But for every day use, what's really become the conensus for quality free products? It used to be AVG and ZoneAlarm, but I'm hearing "not so much" anymore?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:01 AM

Hello,

My setup is Comodo firewall, Avira antivir, and an assortmant of other tools that are not active.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:52 AM

Hi,

I (like Alan) use Comodo Firewall & Avira Antivir on both my Vista PC and XP Laptop as daily protections.
I then have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Spybot, HijackThis, +others available at just a click.

Edited by Emu1616, 19 November 2008 - 08:53 AM.

~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#4 Cloud13

Cloud13

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:02 PM

What's the best free stuff? General consensus seems to be that a person should not run more than 1 active anti-malware program at a time (I was chastized when I told someone I was running AVG, Ad-Aware and Spybot as my "suite"), which really means you only need 1 firewall and 1 anti-virus for general purpose innoculation.

You should only have one anti-virus running at a time, because otherwise they can conflict with each other.

However, you can have multiple anti-spyware.

I find avast! and MBAM/SAS to be pretty effective for me.

I use the Windows firewall...

>.>

#5 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:20 PM

I have AVG (in my opinion the best free antivirus) and Spybot and Malwarebytes Antimalware inactive. I use Vista's firewall which seems fine for my surfing needs.

As has been said before, one AV and one Antispyware is right - but unless you update these signatures weekly they lose effectiveness very quickly. Free AVs don't have the autoupdate option so you are really paying for the peace of mind of that.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:53 PM

Free AVs don't have the autoupdate option so you are really paying for the peace of mind of that.

Avira does.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:56 PM

Free AVs don't have the autoupdate option

My Avira Antivir automatically updates every couple of days, so this really depends on the program you choose.

This is the type of thing to research before downloading free protection programs.
~ E-Mu ~

#8 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:58 PM

I stand corrected (twice)

I meant to say "tend not to have autoupdates". :thumbsup:
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#9 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:02 PM

I stand corrected (twice)

I meant to say "tend not to have autoupdates". :thumbsup:

Hehehe doubles post lol

No worries tho
~ E-Mu ~

#10 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 05:28 PM

Hi,

I (like Alan) use Comodo Firewall & Avira Antivir on both my Vista PC and XP Laptop as daily protections.
I then have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Spybot, HijackThis, +others available at just a click.

Sounds good to me. What kind of options of special configurations am I looking at for Avira and Comodo? I've never actually used those products before.

#11 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:01 PM

Hi,

Sounds good to me. What kind of options of special configurations am I looking at for Avira and Comodo? I've never actually used those products before.

Not quite sure what you mean by "What kind of options of special configurations?"

You will be able to install Avira and Comodo and run them as standard with out special configuration.
~ E-Mu ~

#12 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:07 AM

The tools are quite flexible, but as Emu said the standard or default configuration will be fine. If you have any problems with either tool, give us a shout.
Regards,

Alan.

#13 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:42 AM

Not quite sure what you mean by "What kind of options of special configurations?"

You will be able to install Avira and Comodo and run them as standard with out special configuration.

In a previous version of AVG, for example, you'd go through the menus to turn on deep scanning, heuristics, scan all files (instead of only infectable ones). Setting up old Ad-Aware was fun, too... Got to muck about with all the processes and cleaning engines for a customized scan. I can give more detail, but I think you get the idea.

Just wondering if these new anti-virals required the same amount of... optimization, for lack of a better word.

#14 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:08 PM

You can alter the options in these programs, but the default options are suitable for most cases. Experimentation is the key.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users