Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Conversion

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Meanie

Meanie

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:37 PM

Forgive me if I'm asking in the wrong area, but I am wondering if anyone uses software or even non software (external devices) to convert music from LPs, tapes to MP3s and video to video formats. I am searching for something with ease of use for my mother who would love to convert her old collection of music for an Ipod. She's been wanting to do this for awhile now and I thought it would be a good Xmas gift.

If I'm in the wrong area, I appreciate a direction to the correct area.

All help appreciated.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chimo79

chimo79

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:05 AM

Well, I can give you a partial answer.

There is a commercial application called Roxio Easy Media Creator that is a comprehensive suite of tools for creating, and editing all kinds of media such as video, audio, pictures, etc. and then managing them such as creating home DVDs, video clips, slide shows and of course disk burning. It costs around $50 and is easy enough to use since it is designed for the casual home user.

Within this suite is a utility called "LP and Tape Assistant". This utility has you connect the audio output from a LP player or Tape drive (or any audio source) to the input to your sound card on your PC. The utility then 'captures' the audio that comes out of your PC sound card (speakers) and converts it to any of several sound formats (such as MP3, WMA, WAV, etc.) and stores it in a file on your hard disk. You must do any queueing of the pieces and must manually type in the title, artist etc. if you want to so there is a fair amount of work involved. There are controls to autopause, silence system sounds etc. This utility can also be used to capture any audio from any source that is being sent to your PC speakers so you can surf the web looking for online radio to capture.

The same producer (Roxio) has provided, as a free 'Gadget' for Windows Vista, a stripped down version of this utility (LP and Tape Assistant, not the entire Easy Media Creator) that will do the capture and record functions of the full utility. The Gadget is called "Easy Audio Creator". You can get it from a search of the online Gadgets. It is not as complete as the utility in the full package but the price is right.

The fly in the ointment is that I know nothing about iPod format and have no idea if an iPod will play standard audio format files such as MP3.

#3 gforce422

gforce422

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:10 PM

The fly in the ointment is that I know nothing about iPod format and have no idea if an iPod will play standard audio format files such as MP3.

Yes, iPod will play an MP3 format, as well as other common formats, like WAV, AAC, and AIFF. iTunes also has a built in file converter, in case the format does not match up with an iPod.

#4 Meanie

Meanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:07 PM

Thank you Chimo for the insight.

Itunes will convert files to play onto an Ipod, therefore, I just need to get them on a computer.

I would assume I need a sound card with RCA (composite) connections in order to plug stereo devices into it?

#5 chimo79

chimo79

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:26 PM

Yes but I think pretty much all PCs today have a sound system - either a sound card or the equivalent integrated onto the motherboard.

#6 gforce422

gforce422

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:23 PM

Also, quite a few computers now have a 3.5mm line-in minijack (same input as a small headphone cable). If you get an RCA to 3.5mm cable, it will record in stereo. You can get an RCA to 3.5mm cable here for about $10.

Unless you already have an RCA line-in on your computer, in which case just ignore the above. :thumbsup:

Also, if you are going to be recording audio off of an LP, I would suggest looking into a phono preamp of some kind. This will help greatly in terms of getting a substantial sound volume, because the line-out level on a phonograph is extremely low when compared to other sources of audio.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users