Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I add superantispyware to my defence system?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:21 PM

Hi everyone.

Should I add Superantispyware to my computer? Can it find and remove stuff MBAM can't?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:29 PM

I think SuperAntiSpyware is a great scanner and I have found that it sometimes can remove something that Malwarebytes struggles with. SuperAntiSpyware is more effective if run in Safe Mode.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:59 AM

With anti malware tools it is often the case that they will both find things the other missed. The more tools you install the slower the system will go as a result.
Regards,

Alan.

#4 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:06 AM

There's always that ever wonderous question. Do you want speed or are you willing to sacrifice a little bit of that speed to better protect yourself? Of course, MBAM and SAS works really well as a team (with ATF Cleaner to help ease the payload for SAS).

I just have a question about SAS. ....does that thing update everyday or something???

.....shutting up.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#5 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:24 AM

The more tools you install the slower the system will go as a result.

I don't get it...aren't they supposed to speed up the system by removing malware?

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:54 AM

No.

#7 Cloud13

Cloud13

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:58 PM

The more tools you install the slower the system will go as a result.

I don't get it...aren't they supposed to speed up the system by removing malware?

Well, yeah, but the more scanners you have installed on the HD and processes running from them uses up system resources.

I use a trifecta of Avast, MBAM, and SAS.

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:52 PM

Security programs are particularly heavy in terms of usage as they are always scanning files. The more you have the more resources(memory) is used and the system will be slower as a result. Its really a balancing act.
Regards,

Alan.

#9 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:30 PM

But will they still slow down the system even if they don't have real-time protection?

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:37 AM

If they are not active in the systems memory then there should be no real performance loss.
Regards,

Alan.

#11 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:29 AM

Well, I am planning to run them one by one, not at the same time.

#12 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:39 PM

In that case they shouldn't use up resources except for storage space.
Regards,

Alan.

#13 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:53 PM

Security wise on my PC I have Comodo CIS and SpyWareBlaster as real time protection. I use Superantispyware, Malwarebytes and A+ as on demand malware scanners and use them manually on a weekly rota basis.
In my opinion SAS is best followed by MWB and then A+. I also use Sysinternals freeware Autoruns program for keeping my start up list to only essential programs. I find a lot of problems with slow PC's are not in fact malware related but that too many unnecessary programs are starting automatically on startup rather than as needed.

Since going from Comodo Firewall Pro to Comodo CIS I no longer need Avira Antivir and now only have the CIS icon on my taskbar as SpywareBlaster runs silently in the background without needing a shortcut icon. Just remember to update your security programs regularly. I do mine prior to usage except SpywareBlaster which I check for updates a couple of times weekly. I also use FileHippos Update checker which is a very good free program for keeping your PC up to date with all manner of programs.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#14 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:15 PM

Comodo do a great firewall, but the AV they produce needs some more work in my opinion, If I had the choice of AV out of Comodo or Avira I will always choose Avira as it has proven to be a reliable tool. Also, http://secunia.com/ should be used with file hippo's updater as they both pick up things the other one misses.
Regards,

Alan.

#15 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:28 AM

Hi Nigglesnush85,
Would have perhaps agreed with you a few weeks back when CIS was first released but since then the virus data base has been updated lots of times, sometimes 3-4 times a day. I have a lot of trust in Comodo and there products having used the Firewall since V2 and also used BoClean. I had Avira before and had no problems with it either.
I don't visit dodgy sites and haven't had a virus or any serious malware on my PC for at least three years. I dropped Avira simply as I preferred one program doing a multi task security rather than different programs even though I had no conflicts with either of them. Just a personal choice. Comodo intend to add BoClean and HIPS into not to distant updates. Comodo have always served me well in the past and I feel comfortable using their products.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users