Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What would a world without computers look like today?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:10 PM

What if there were no computers today? I can't even imagine that world.

What are your opinions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:46 PM

It would be a very dull place. :thumbsup: No digital alarm clocks, no Call of Duty 4, no Wii, no TI-89 Titanium calculators, no Internet!!!! :flowers:

I don't want to imagine a world without computers.

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:48 PM

No PCs? Imagine...

Imagine thereís no PCs
Itís easy if you try
No Windows below us
Above us Appleís lie.
Imagine all the people
Living sans PC

Imagine thereís no Intel
It isnít hard to do
No AMD or Athlon
And no ATI too
Imagine all the people
Living with no mouse

You may say that Iím a schemer
But Iím not the only man
I hope someday youíll join us
Analog will be back again

Imagine no Linuxes
I wonder whatís the rub
No need for screens or keyboards
No Internet or hub
Imagine all the people
Sharing, face to face

You may say that Iím a schemer
But Iím not the only man
I hope someday youíll join us
And we will not need a LAN.

*Apologies to John Lennon*

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:55 PM

The sound of abacus beads clicking would drive most nutso....
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:02 PM

On the upside, all the wires and cords and cables needed for computers and the "stuff" attached to them would not be there to get tangled up and drive you crazy.

If there were no computers, the world today would be like it was when I was growing up. Maybe more kids would play outside, or read a book. Maybe more adults would read. Spend more quality time with the family.

I do like my computer-and spending time on it. But I try to make "real" life my priority. Sadly, there are many who don't. They are addicted to computers to the point they shut out reality.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:11 PM

I do like my computer-and spending time on it. But I try to make "real" life my priority. Sadly, there are many who don't. They are addicted to computers to the point they shut out reality.

Hence my Andrew Brown quote in my signature below. :thumbsup:

As for the lack of computers, today?

Everyone would have had to learn how to use a Slide Rule. :flowers:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:26 PM

:thumbsup: .......slide rule.......I looked at the link, but trying to understand that with a crapped out brain doesn't help.....

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:56 AM

It would be a very dull place. :thumbsup: No digital alarm clocks, no Call of Duty 4, no Wii, no TI-89 Titanium calculators, no Internet!!!! :flowers:

I don't want to imagine a world without computers.

I can imagine a world without computers because I grew up in world without computers. It would not be dull. You'd simply have other things to do, other interests and hobbies that are not driven by technology. Books, board games, sports, whatever it is that you choose to indulge in.
My life pre-computer was certainly not dull and boring. I can see why those who have grown up with computers, who have never known a world without them, would think it would be dull.
I clearly recall when I was a child the day my mom and dad got cable tv installed. Back then it was basically a way to get better tv reception, and it added a couple of stations in Mississippi to my part of Alabama. I thought WOW this is great. How did people get by without cable for all those years? I can't imagine a world without it.

Computers have enhanced our lives. We can get information with a few keystrokes. I'm currently reveiwing cell phones so I can make an informed choice about which one to get. When an ad is missing from my Sunday paper, I can view the ad online. I can look up a restaurant website, look at the menu, find out if it is a place that would appeal to me. My computer lets me keep in touch with my son in Bogota, Colombia without having to spend a small fortune on phone calls. I've met some wonderful people on the internet, people I call good friends. I've met a few of them in person.
My daughter met her husband on the internet.

Businesses have benefited from computers. They can find information more quickly. Registers aren't slow and clunky. Inventory can be better tracked. They can keep up with what is being sold and what doesn't sell.

Computers are used in medicine. Better and more efficient ways to diagnose illnesses. Faster and more accurate ways to get results from tests.

Forensics has come a long way. DNA profiles can be generated in days instead of months. Machines to analyze evidence. Fingerprints can be compared by computers.

All in all, I think the world is a better place because of technology.
But the bottom line is HOW we deal with it, how we use them. We have to remember that we control them, they don't control us.

#9 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:15 PM

Well, on the good side if we didn't have computers we won't have to worry about malware, drivers and complicated stuff.

#10 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:39 PM

True on that. But then we wouldn't have such a great community like this here forum, and people won't be able to do some of the things that they can do online like find things that they usually can't find in the stores on their online stores and such.

....erm....shutting up.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#11 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:49 PM

it would be a lot simpler. Engines would still be run one the basic principles of mechanical advance and carboration, Monopoly would still teach children how to Add, Subtract, Figure Percentages, etc, I would still be able to spell, and the College football BCS might actually make sense (Not that VT or 'Bama have much to worry about as their fates are fairly well set) Roll Tide! :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#12 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:02 PM

Well, if there were no computers, the world won't be that connected and small anymore.

Edited by Lloyd T, 29 November 2008 - 11:02 PM.

#13 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:07 PM

My 'abacus repair' business would be franchised on every 9th street corner, providing work and income to many.

[think about it... ^ ]
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#14 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:14 PM

My 'abacus repair' business would be franchised on every 9th street corner, providing work and income to many.

Well, that would be good. :thumbsup:

But without computers, lots of jobs we have today probably wouldn't exist (like Information Technology). Plus, thousands of words (like Internet) will probably disappear from the English dictionary.

The world will probably go slower...

#15 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:59 AM

My Signature says it all. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users