Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

corrupt/missing file

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bammbamm21

bammbamm21

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 07 May 2005 - 07:07 PM

hello again. my computer recently crashed when i went to restart it and brought up

windows xp could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system

alright i went to the microsoft website and it stated to put in the boot disk and when it comes up click "r" and then when prompted to do so, type the administrator password or if the password is blank(meaning no password on the comp such as us???), then press enter.

well thats all fine and dandy except that it never prompts for a password. it goes straight to the command prompt.

after that it says to type in "md tmp" then press enter. well when i do that it says that access is denied. basically everything that i tell in thats a valid command it tell me that access is denied. i was wondering if i need to reformat the whole drive, which i dont want to do since all the songs and family pics of my moms will be erased or what the deal was.

any help would be appreciated. thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bammbamm21

bammbamm21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:10 PM

well i take it that since no one has answered that they're is nothing that i can do except reformat my hard drive.

i cant use my comp for anything right now since i cant even get it to boot up xp and am at a friends right now.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:28 PM

Sorry no one has answered you yet. I once attempted a repair on a system with similar problems. I say attempted because it wasn't very successful.

You might be able to do a repair install if you have that option. That might save your files. You don't have to format the drive, just go to This Site and see if you can follow the instructions, and hope that they work. Sometimes, the option to do a repair install is not available.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:29 PM

Try this.

When you get to the command prompt type in:

sfc /scannow

You need to have your xp disk in the CD drive when you do this. This will run system file checker and will scan for corrupt files.

Another thing you can try is when you boot your computer, keep pressing the F8 key until you get to a menu. Use the arrow keys to choose Last known good configuration and press enter.

Good luck.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 bammbamm21

bammbamm21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 08:36 PM

yea i tried last known config and that didnt work.

the biggest problem is that it never asks for my administrator password so that whenever i try putting in these commands it says "access denied" so that it wont work.

no where on the net have i seen a fix to that so i dont know why its not asking me for the password.

but thanks i will go home and try these two and see if they will work.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 08:39 PM

Can you get into safe mode?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 bammbamm21

bammbamm21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:39 PM

Can you get into safe mode?

no i cant even get into safe mode. i called microsoft and had them walk me through it and i wish i would of had a nickle for everytime they said "thats odd" but apparently im missing my config folder altogether. the guy said he was gonna talk to his technical assisant then he hung up on me :thumbsup: . i did install xp on a seperate partition but i have no drivers so i have no volume or internet because its saying im missing my ethernet card and i know its there.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:01 PM

You need drivers for the sound and ethernet card. Do you have a CD for the Motherboard that came with the computer? If not, you might be able to get the drivers from Windows Update. When you go there look to the left of the page for drivers.

If that doesn't work run Everest Home Edition and post back with your mobo name, model number or chipset and we'll help you find the drivers.

#9 bammbamm21

bammbamm21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:23 PM

alright i dont have the cd that came with the comp

i ran that program and it said:

motherboard id: <dmi>

motherboard name: gateway desktop system

didnt know if u needed all that other stuff but i didnt write it down since i cant use the printer either, its saying thats not hooked up either.

well thanks again though

#10 bammbamm21

bammbamm21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2005 - 04:23 AM

well i borrowed a driver disk from my buddy and that worked fine. thanks for the help though leurgy and herk.

you can lock this thread if u want to

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users