Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rootkit.Agent Trojan.FAKEALERT infection.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cluesome

cluesome

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:53 PM

I'm looking for help to get rid of an infection from files that won't delete, even after running an anti-malware scan.

I am using a Windows XP PC and have been trying to clear a suspected case of AntiVirusXP infection, where the machine looked like it was offering to give anti-malware help but was actually self-infecting.

I downloaded and ran Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware program which I researched was the best app to use for cleaning that particular infection. On the first run it removed 117 malware objects, followed by a restart. On the second run it removed 71 objects followed by a restart. Then I ran it in Safe Mode and it found and removed 7 objects followed by a re-start. I noticed each time that there were two or three objects that it said could not be removed but would be upon re-start. So I deduced that those objects were not being removed and that they were simply re-infecting the PC on each re-start. After another couple of runs of the Anti-Malware program I am now left in a cycle of finding some number of registry keys and files that are found and removed with still two or three that seem not to be and can't be deleted. Through my last cycle these are:

Memory Modules:
c:\windows\system32\csqktgq.dll (trojan.FAKEALERT) (not deleted - delete on restart)
c:\windows\system32\savec32.dll (trojan.BANKER) (not deleted - delete on restart)

Registry Keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CONTROLSET001\SERVICES\ati2wdxx (rootkit.agent)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CONTROLSET002\SERVICES\ati2wdxx (rootkit.agent)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\ati2wdxx (rootkit.agent)

Files:
c:\windows\system32\csqktgq.dll (trojan.FAKEALERT) (not deleted - delete on restart)
c:\windows\system32\drivers\ati2wdxx.sys (rootkit.Agent) (not deleted - delete on restart)
c:\windows\system32\sysservice.exe (backdoor.bot) (not deleted - delete on restart)

Can anybody help me to get rid of these please?

Best regards,
Phil.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:55 PM

What is your operating system? I must tell you this first.

One or more of the identified infections is a rootkit component. Rootkits are very dangerous because they use advanced techniques (backdoors) as a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms and steal sensitive information which they send back to the hacker. Many rootkits can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install. Remote attackers use backdoor Trojans and rootkits as part of an exploit to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge.

If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, all passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and online forums. You should consider them to be compromised. They should be changed by using a different computer and not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach. Because your computer was compromised please read How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?

Although the rootkit was identified and removed, your PC has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume that because the rootkit has been removed the computer is now secure. Further, in some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. The malware may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, reformat and reinstall the OS. Please read:

"When should I re-format? How should I reinstall?"

Should you decide not to follow that advice, we will do our best to help clean the computer of any infections but we cannot guarantee it to be trustworthy or that the removal will be successful. If you wish to proceed, please do the following.

Please print out and follow these instructions: "How to use SDFix". <- This program is for Windows 2000/XP ONLY.
When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
  • Disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any real time protection programs before performing a scan.
  • When done, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
  • If SDFix is unable to run after rebooting from Safe Mode, run SDFix in either Mode, and type F, then press Enter for it to finish the final stage and produce the report.
  • Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply.
  • Be sure to renable you anti-virus and and other security programs before connecting to the Internet.
-- If the computer has been infected with the VirusAlert! malware warning from the clock and the Start Menu icons or drives are not visible, open the SDFix folder, right-click on either the XP_VirusAlert_Repair.inf or W2K VirusAlert_Repair.inf (depending on your version of Windows) and select Install from the Context menu. Then reboot to apply the changes.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 cluesome

cluesome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:28 AM

Ok, thanks for that information.
I will follow your advice and reformat my disk with a clean reinstall of the OS. Happily I do not believe there has been malicious use of my banking or credit card details but I understand the potential.
Regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users