Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my system, where shall I start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 skwales100

skwales100

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:23 PM

I have a Dell C521, it's not that bad actually.

Here are the current specs;

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 1.8Ghz
2.5GB of RAM
ATI 'Half-Height' graphics 128mb Radeon X1300 (PCI or PCE-e ?)

Enough HDD space.

Now then, instead of buying a new computer I would like to upgrade the current one, especially Graphics and Processor. But I don't know where to start, and what to look for, so I came here for some help?

One problem is, the small C521 tower, this means that the graphics card has to be a half-height, would buying a bigger tower and reinstalling all my dell components into there be the best option? to get a regular size graphics?

What do you suggest for graphics and CPU?

I want to play some good games which require more power than I already have, so would upgrading this Dell be the best option?

Many thanks, Shaun.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:23 PM

I don't think that computer is upgradeable to a gaming system. A new graphics card won't fit, and getting a new case won't work because the Dell power on button is only compatible with dell cases (I guess you could find another Dell case though, but make sure they use the same connection). Also, you would definitely need a new power supply. Lastly, that processor is really going to slow down games, and bottleneck a good graphics card.

You're looking at a lot of upgrades, and hassle. I think you would be better off just saving up your money and building a new computer. You could probably scavenge the hard drive and ram out of this computer if you wanted to.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:58 PM

I second Sterling14, it would be a major hassle to upgrade that computer. Just save your money and you'll get a PC later that will handle games. I'm not sure if the RAM could be scavenged, some newer PC's use faster memory. It may also be difficult to find a CPU that fits your motherboard's socket.

3939.png

#4 skwales100

skwales100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:00 PM

Thanks, advice taken on board. Probably likely to go for a whole new system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users