Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Firefox Problem...Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 boobaloo

boobaloo

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:40 PM

Failed to Connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at login.facebook.com.

Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.

* Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.

* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network connection.

* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

im running XP, and this is on all browsers, not just firefox. i get this message only on certain websites. most notably www.facebook.com and when trying to login to hotmail. there is also a program, Mega Manager, from megaupload.com that i need to login to to use but now IT cant connect either. there are two computers that use this wireless router and the other computer has no problem getting on these sites. i have also tried using another WiFi connection with this computer and the problem is the same. i tried disabling the firewall and nothing. also, ive already run spyware and malware scans and got problems, but when i fixed them, i still couldn't connect. any help? thanks

Edited by boobaloo, 18 November 2008 - 06:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:09 PM

The malware could have messed with your HOSTS file. Please check your HOSTS file by going to Start -> My computer -> Your main hard drive (usually "C:") then navigate to Windows -> system32 -> drivers -> etc -> Double click on the file named "host" and choose to open it with notepad. Post either the entire contents of the file in your reply, or search through it using Find (Ctr + F) and type in "facebook" or any of the site you can't seem to access. If any of them are present in your HOSTS file, please say so in your next reply.

#3 boobaloo

boobaloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 05:40 PM

# Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:40 PM

If that is your hosts file then you don't actually have a hosts file. That is OK but having a HOSTS file is recommended. If you would like to use a hosts file, please visit the following: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

#5 boobaloo

boobaloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:36 PM

ok so i opened that zip on the page and it had a HOSTS file inside. the file was extemely large but if you want me to post it i will. in it, using CTRL+F, i found hotmail and facebook. so whats next? how do i fix my internet?

Edited by boobaloo, 22 November 2008 - 04:47 PM.

#6 somenoob

somenoob

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:53 AM

What about www.new.facebook.com? The address has changed recently to this one.

#7 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:28 AM

ok so i opened that zip on the page and it had a HOSTS file inside. the file was extemely large but if you want me to post it i will. in it, using CTRL+F, i found hotmail and facebook. so whats next? how do i fix my internet?

Did you find facebook and hotmail in your OLD HOSTS file or the one I directed you to?
Also, was the address "www.facebook.com" and www.hotmail.com? Or was there a typo in it, or extra stuff before or after the site? Because if there was, then keep it in your HOSTS file.

#8 boobaloo

boobaloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:44 PM

ok. hold on. your losing me. at the very first, i didn't HAVE a hosts file, right? but in the on you DIRECTED me to, which i just opened but didn't import into my computer, i found hotmail and facebook. but heres something i forgot to mention, which im sorry for doing so, i can get to each website, it only gives me the "failed to connect" when i try to LOGIN. so, yes, there was text before and after both sites in the HOSTS file.

#9 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:15 AM

Can you please copy and paste the entry for hotmail and facebook ( the entry in the hosts file) in your next reply?

#10 boobaloo

boobaloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:35 AM

127.0.0.1 ads.facebook.com #[facebook-ads.vo.llnwd.net]
127.0.0.1 ads.ak.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 creative.ak.facebook.com

# 127.0.0.1 switch.atdmt.com #[disabled affects Hotmail signup]

there they are. but i still dont understand how this can help me. the file you directed me too, the one i got these entries from IS NOT SAVED IN MY COMPUTER. i was simply viewing it.

#11 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:58 AM

Oh. I just realized that. I am really sorry. When the error appears when you log in, can you refresh the page to make ilog in or does it just sit there?

#12 boobaloo

boobaloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:58 PM

it will refresh, but it refreshes to the same error page.

#13 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:17 PM

Hmm..... I remember once havaing a problem logging into facebook. Mine fixed itsel though. It is with all browsers in your case so I can't suggest trying yla differnt browser. Let me do a little research.

#14 boobaloo

boobaloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:01 AM

found anything? i just found out that i cant get to the firefox add-ons page. wtf is going on?

#15 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:36 AM

Sorry. I'm busy this weekend. It still seems to me to be a HOSTS file issue. Please replace your HOSTS file with the one I provided.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users