Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do you think about Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:46 PM

Official site: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/

What are your opinions of Windows 7? Do you think it will be better or worse than Vista?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 05:25 AM

Hopefully better, but that site looks like its kind of keeping every feature hush hush.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:43 PM

Right now, the only people that have it are developers whose products need to integrate with the OS, and a few reviewers. Anybody else that may be doing beta testing would have been required to sign a non-disclosure agreement and would not be allowed to talk about it. Neither would the developers that have early access. So for now, details are going to be a bit sketchy. The developer's blog I linked to here will give you more info than you will get on any ten sites though. :huh:

#4 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:53 PM

As long as it installs out of the box without requiring 3 clicks to launch a program, it's better than Vista in my book. :huh:

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#5 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:20 PM

I read something in the Internet about the current version suppressing most UAC warnings. I've also heared that this caused some programs (like VMware) to not be compatible with Windows 7.

#6 Guest_Illegal Alien_*

Guest_Illegal Alien_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:47 AM

I like Win7. I tried it at a friends house when it was around M2. Seems faster, couldn't see many changes yet. I've read some articles about it on Lifehacker.The new design looks good, the taskbar looks pretty nice too. They did some tests and it barely boots faster than Vista, but a lot faster than XP which would be a plus. I'll wait until beta for a better decision though.

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:12 PM

It looks pretty cool. I'm probably not going to upgrade from vista to it though, at least not for a few years which may be when Windows 8 comes out XD .
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:23 PM

I'll upgrade to it - just because I like to help with Windows issues.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Mr-Moo

Mr-Moo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:49 PM

I just wanted to pop in a few excerpts that I found useful.

Quoted from Microsoft.com
[What is Windows 7?]

It's the next version of Windows for PCs, and it's the result of working hand-in-hand with our partners and with people who use Windows in the real world every day. We're paying particular attention to the things they're telling us are important to them and will make their PCs work the way they want them to—things like enhanced reliability, responsiveness, and faster boot and shut-down. We're also trying to make their everyday tasks easier, like connecting and syncing devices, browsing the web, and managing a home network.

Of course, we're also working on new capabilities, so people will be able to do things with Windows 7 that were difficult (or perhaps impossible) to do with PCs before. Finally, we're working hard to ensure that Windows 7 will run on any PC and work with any program that works today with Windows Vista, so upgrading from Windows Vista will be easy.

Quoted from Wikipedia.com
[Features of Windows 7]

Windows 7 includes a number of new features, such as advances in touch, speech, and handwriting recognition, support for virtual hard disks, improved performance on multi-core processors, improved boot performance, and kernel improvements.

According to reports sent to TG Daily,[21] the Milestone 1 build of Windows 7 adds support for systems using multiple heterogeneous graphics cards from different vendors and a new version of Windows Media Center.[21] New features in Milestone 1 also reportedly include Gadgets being integrated into Windows Explorer, a Gadget for Windows Media Center, the ability to visually pin and unpin items from the Start Menu and Taskbar, improved media features, the XPS Essentials Pack being integrated, Windows PowerShell Integrated Scripting Environment (ISE), and a multiline Calculator featuring Programmer and Statistics modes along with unit conversion.

Reports indicate that a feedback tool included in Milestone 1 lists some coming features: the ability to store Internet Explorer settings on a Windows Live account, updated versions of Paint and WordPad, and a 10-minute install process.[45] In addition, improved network connection tools might be included.

Many new items have been added to the Control Panel including: Accelerators, ClearType Text Tuner, Display Color Calibration Wizard, Gadgets, Infrared, Recovery, Troubleshooting, Workspaces Center, Location and Other Sensors, Credential Manager, Biometric Devices, System Icons, Windows Solution Center, and Display.[46] Windows Security Center has been renamed the Windows Solution Center (Windows Health Center in earlier builds) which encompass both security and maintenance of the computer.

The taskbar has seen the biggest visual changes, where the Quick Launch has been merged with the buttons to create an enhanced taskbar or what Microsoft internally refers to as the "Superbar". This enhanced taskbar also enables the Jump Lists feature to allow easy access to common tasks.[47]

According to released PDC 2008, which was held 27-30 October 2008, session information, Windows 7 discussions will cover "enhancements to the taskbar, Start Menu, thumbnails and their desktop elements",[48] a new networking API with support for building SOAP based web services in native code (as opposed to.NET based WCF web services),[49] new features to shorten application install times, reduced UAC prompts, simplified development of installation packages,[50] and improved globalization support through a new Extended Linguistic Services API.[51]

Windows 7 will also contain a new FireWire (IEEE 1394) stack that fully supports IEEE 1394b with S800, S1600 and S3200 data rates.[52]

#10 MiCCAS

MiCCAS

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:28 AM

I really do like Windows 7 so far, and considering it was only released at PDC and it feels this solid, it sounds like it's going to be an awesome release :D

#11 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:04 PM

The public beta should be out soon and what I have heard from the 6801 build (the one gave out from PDC) Windows 7 will be phenomenal

#12 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:45 PM

I too, am looking forward to the release of Windows7. :huh:
I am leap frogging from XP SP3, to Windows7.
Wish they could incorporate instant start up.

#13 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:41 PM

I'll probably upgrade to Windows 7 in 2018, when the bugs have been fixed. I'll upgrade first to Windows Vista at around 2015.

#14 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:10 AM

Will there be an upgrade that could take XP up to 7?

#15 JMacalinao

JMacalinao

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:24 AM

I'll probably upgrade to Windows 7 in 2018, when the bugs have been fixed. I'll upgrade first to Windows Vista at around 2015.

That would mean you're still using Windows 98. ;)

Will there be an upgrade that could take XP up to 7?

There should be, right? I mean, they know some people (if not most) opted to wait until Windows 7, so they must have some option. Although that's not my option because I always "clean install."

Edited by JMacalinao, 04 December 2008 - 09:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users