Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vundo, Vundo and more Vundo!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Vundokiller

Vundokiller

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:42 PM

Greetings gang,

Well here I sit with the infamous Vundo on my PC. I have tried all of the usual methods (Spybot, Superantispyware, Spyware Doc (cost me 40 bucks!) Virtumundobegone, Spywareblaster, adaware, smitfraud, etc...) Nothing I use seems to work. Some find the bug, others scan for hours and find nothing. Regardless of if it is found or not the thing just keeps popping up over and over again. My latest attempt to remove this thing I got by reading this forum and I tried Malwarebytes. Here is the report I received from this program on quick scan:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30

Database version: 1410

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

11/18/2008 12:28:44 PM

mbam-log-2008-11-18 (12-28-44).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan

Objects scanned: 47537

Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 45 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 1

Registry Keys Infected: 8

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 1

Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ydzhul.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{03685a21-a228-4639-a8a5-2362f2001f4b} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{03685a21-a228-4639-a8a5-2362f2001f4b} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{03685a21-a228-4639-a8a5-2362f2001f4b} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{87255c51-cd7d-4506-b9ad-97606daf53f3} (Adware.Coupons) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{9522b3fb-7a2b-4646-8af6-36e7f593073c} (Adware.Coupons) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{a3ed5288-f558-4f6e-8d5c-740cb6f89029} (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Juan (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Track System (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

C:\Documents and Settings\t\Application Data\GetModule (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ydzhul.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\hmktvegp.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Now, I was thinking my next step would be to download the ATF cleaner ( I already have Superantispyware) and follow the instructions of using both. What do you guys recommend?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vundokiller

Vundokiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:19 PM

Here are the results of the full scan:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30
Database version: 1410
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
11/18/2008 2:16:06 PM
mbam-log-2008-11-18 (14-16-06).txt
Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|E:\|F:\|)
Objects scanned: 218185
Time elapsed: 42 minute(s), 30 second(s)
Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 4
Memory Processes Infected:
Memory Modules Infected:
Registry Keys Infected:
Registry Values Infected:
Registry Data Items Infected:
Folders Infected:
Files Infected:
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{E98F5992-B645-4917-8E85-EC0704D341D5}\RP366\A0060445.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{E98F5992-B645-4917-8E85-EC0704D341D5}\RP366\A0060453.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{E98F5992-B645-4917-8E85-EC0704D341D5}\RP366\A0060454.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{E98F5992-B645-4917-8E85-EC0704D341D5}\RP366\A0060500.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:42 PM

Hi; do you have this ( or a similar)set of instructions for the program?

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your Desktop.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.

I think you need to do the computer reboot to allow the program to remove the infections ; try it again maybe ?

It would be good to see a nice set of zeros in the Log report :thumbsup:

#4 Vundokiller

Vundokiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:10 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I do have those instructions and have done a reboot to the PC. After the reboot I again started a quick scan and received a clean bill of health (no infections found) I will now run a full scan and report back with the results.

#5 Vundokiller

Vundokiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:53 PM

Well the second full scan is done and came back clean! However, both times I had to run the full scan in safe mode. I am not sure if one of the million other programs I have installed to try and find/delete this bug is messing up the scan or what? What is my next step from here guys? Maybe the ATF cleaner and the SAS?

#6 Vundokiller

Vundokiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:06 PM

OK, I went ahead and ran the ATF and SAS programs. The SAS brought back 18 files but all were plain tracking cookies! No other sources have been found on the last couple of scans that were conducted (Malware/SAS)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users