Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Space....Missing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nicholasj

nicholasj

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:00 PM

Hello,
I have 160 gig on my 12 month old lap top. That is what is says on the packet but less with the bundled stuff.
After normal use and browsing and downloading pictures and music etc it stabilised at about 125 or more. But for some reason it seems to have "lost" about 20gig for no apparent reason. I think my last laptop did the same.
In both cases there was a reasonably high % of freee space but lost a chunk of free space almost overnight.
Any ideas please or suggestions.....not to concernig at this point but just can't figure it out.
Has the disc been partitioned or similar? How can I investigate?
Many thanks
John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:14 PM

Hi,
  • Double-click on the "My Computer". This will open the "My Computer" window.
  • Locate your hard drive. This will denoted as "Local Disk (C:)" on most computers.
  • Right-click on your hard drive icon and select "Properties". This will open a window that displays all the information that you need about your Hard Disk.
What are the used/free space numbers showing as?

Download a program called Treesize, this indicates where you harddrive space is being used. Download Link
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users