I'm not sure this is a malware problem. If you don't play this video, does Office Communicator not start? Can you find a different source for the video?
If you want to run some scans for malware, please do the following: (If anything doesn't work, simply make a note of it and continue on.)
If you do not have Spybot S&D installed, I will give you a link for this below. If you have Spybot S&D installed, be sure that TeaTimer is deactivated before you begin. To do this, open the program, click on mode at the top and select Advanced Mode. Then on the left hand side at the bottom, expand tools and click on the read and white Resident shield. In the middle of the page you'll see entries for SDHelper and TeaTimer. Be sure that TeaTimer is not checked.
Next download and install CCleaner
. Once installed see if you can run it in normal mode. If not, please try running it in safe mode.
To run CCleaner, open the program and click on Run Cleaner in the lower right-hand corner. Confirm that you want to delete the files and allow it to finish. When it's done, the Run Cleaner button will light back up. CCleaner will remove all your temporary files, browser history, logs and cookies. It will make any further work on your computer easier and it will help prevent malware from getting started again via temp files.
Spybot S&D can be downloaded and installed here: Spybot - Search & Destroy
- Tutorial: Using Spybot S&D
After you've done this, attempt to install and run MalwareBytes. You may find that you will need to rename both the installation file and the executable files. You can name them anything, as long as you remember which is which and where they are located. If you are able to open Windows Explorer, find the malwarebytes executable in its folder under Program Files and rename it from mbam.exe to something like MBytes.exe or use the date as the name. Try running it first in normal mode and if that doesn't work, in safe mode. To get to safe mode, hit the F8 button during bootup until you reach the menu that gives you the safe mode option.
Please use the following instructions for MalwareBytes:
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
and save it to your desktop.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.
- Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
- Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
- When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
- Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Then click Finish.
- MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
- On the Scanner tab:
- Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
- Then click on the Scan button.
- If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
- The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
- When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
- Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
- Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
- Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
- The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
- Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
After the above, please report what you were able to do. If MalwareBytes ran, please post the log here.
Edited by Zllio, 19 November 2008 - 05:01 AM.