Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Cooling Issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Prince80102

Prince80102

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:21 PM

Hello all-

I recently built a new computer and it was my 2nd time doing so. The first one I built had no problems whatsoever, especially when it came to to cooling the CPU. (Core2Duo) I used an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro from Newegg. The temps were approx. 35c=idle, 55c=load. (According to SpeedFan) However this is not the case with my newest build.

Right now I have a Q6600 installed using the stock HSF. I wasn't expecting much from the stock cooler, but you might be shocked to know the temperatures it's running at. 60c=idle, 90c=load. I'm almost to the point where I'm afraid to do anything on it that requires some CPU power. I have tried to install another Freezer 7 Pro for this computer but it does not fit. My motherboard's bridge is apparently too close and bulky to the CPU slot that it won't fit. :thumbsup:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813130184

I am not able to buy a new motherboard and I can't spend more than $40 for a new HSF. Does anyone have suggestions on what to buy that will probably fit and cool very well? It just can't be too bulky, at least not on the sides.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:24 PM

hi,, i have a Q6600 and the stock fan was an asus, but it ran a bit hot,,, 55c idle and 60-65c on load,,, my case is a bit narrow and there is a grill dead in line with the hsf,,,, i changed it for on of these,,,,,
Asus Triton 85 Quiet Top-down CPU Cooler
http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/.../asus-triton-85
its very quiet and the temps are now down to 30c idle and 45-50c on load
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 Prince80102

Prince80102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:12 PM

Thank you figgis. Do you happen to know or think it will work with my motherboard? If you check out the link I posted originally, you can see how close the bridge hsf is to the cpu slot. When I read the dimensions about the cooler you linked me to, it seemed wide and maybe wouldn't fit? If you or anyone else could advise me on this, I'd very much appreciate it.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:12 PM

If you are using the thermal paste that came with the processor and heatsink fan, that is your problem. You should look into cleaning that crap off, and using some real thermal paste, such as arctic silver 5. This is the cheapest method, and will probably run you about $10 after shipping for a tube on newegg.

A new heatsink fan will help though if you want to really lower the temperatures a lot.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:46 PM

hi,,, i see what you mean about the bridge cooler,,, if you put the asus heatsink pipes pointing to 12 o'clock,,, it may well fit, as the blocks sides have cut outs,,, but it would be a shame to buy it then it does not fit,,, on mine its on an asus board with nothing that close to it,,, so i would not like to say yes or no,, sorry,,, you could find something with the same dimensions as the heatsink or make a profile out of cardboard of the same dimensions and offer it up to the mobo to see if it fits or not,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:03 PM

Also make sure to route the cables and tie them back for maximum airflow
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:54 PM

yer,, good point Mark,,, my friends home build was like cable city,,, it caused a real bad heat problem until he tied them all back and tided it up.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users