Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help on mobo upgrade etc..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 conoflex

conoflex

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:37 AM

Hi guys,
Looking to change my Asus P5k premium wifi for something a bit better, thinking of P45 board but which one :huh: ? I have a budget of 125.00ish
only real requirments of is rear sata connection, at least 4 internal sata, (can't think of anything else)

I was thinking of asus p5q-e maybe or GA-EP45-DS4.

I won't need to overclock it either so thats not a problem, will be using an e6850 with it for now.

I might be able to upgrade something else as well so input on what would be helpful :thumbsup:
spec will be:-
E6850 cpu and stock cooler (next to change)
OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400C5 Dual Channel Vista Gold Series DDR2 (OCZ2G8004GK)
leadtek 9600gt Extreme 512mb
coolermaster M700 psu
1xEL160 Raptor WD
2x500gb maxtor
1x320gb seagate
1x190s sony dvdrw
1x115d pioneer (IDE)
1x ext 250gb sata WD

Many thanks in advance.
Andy

AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro/Intel i7 3770k/Water Cooled

/32GB RipjawX PC3-1866/Aus Xonar D2/PM/Crucial M4 128gb SSD/2TB Hitachi 6gb/2TB Seagate 6gb

/Asus 7970 TOP/Corsair HX 850watt PSU /Bitfenix Shinobi XL/Asus 24x DVDRW/Iiyama Prolite E2773HDS/Akasa Internal DuoSwap Caddy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:19 PM

You do have good taste sir. You cannot go wrong with either board.

I have limited myself to either Asus or Gigabyte boards for my last half dozen customer builds and have absolutely no complaints.

Just curious as to why you want to go to a P45 from a P35 chipset? No real advantage that I can see. BIOs updates should cover the newer 45nm processors.

I am holding off upgrading my IP35Pro/E6750 until the X58/Nehalem/DDR3 combos come down in price.

Running that E6850 at stock speed is a sin, a minor sin, but still a sin.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:25 PM

I'll probably be getting the GA-EP45-UD3R, not quite as fancy but built along the same lines. Should be awesome. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:45 PM

I'll probably be getting the GA-EP45-UD3R, not quite as fancy but built along the same lines. Should be awesome. :thumbsup:

I used that in a system with a E5200 for a budget build last Thursday. 3.4ghz with stock voltage and cooling.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 conoflex

conoflex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:36 AM

You do have good taste sir. You cannot go wrong with either board.

I have limited myself to either Asus or Gigabyte boards for my last half dozen customer builds and have absolutely no complaints.

Just curious as to why you want to go to a P45 from a P35 chipset? No real advantage that I can see. BIOs updates should cover the newer 45nm processors.

I am holding off upgrading my IP35Pro/E6750 until the X58/Nehalem/DDR3 combos come down in price.

Running that E6850 at stock speed is a sin, a minor sin, but still a sin.

Ah Ha !! Now then that is a good question there, reason is that i am getting problems with the sata ports on the board, least i think i am (i think because it was a "B" grade board when i bought it).
Hard drives no problems(SATA), Pioneer DVDRW(SATA) nightmare. PERHAPS u could shed some light on it :thumbsup: i have changed the drive twice, changed cables (power & data) twice and moved it to different sata port on this board there are 6 sata ports 4 red and 2 black tried both and i still get write errors only works sometimes (not disks either used lots of different ones :huh: ) sorry for long winded reply but i've tried to get it all in.
ONLY other thing i thought it might be is i have the board set up in AHCI mode an not IDE. Shouldn't make a difference tho ??
oh yes, waiting for a Sony DVDRW to arrive to try that, might not like pioneer ones :huh: .

Thanks again
Andy

AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro/Intel i7 3770k/Water Cooled

/32GB RipjawX PC3-1866/Aus Xonar D2/PM/Crucial M4 128gb SSD/2TB Hitachi 6gb/2TB Seagate 6gb

/Asus 7970 TOP/Corsair HX 850watt PSU /Bitfenix Shinobi XL/Asus 24x DVDRW/Iiyama Prolite E2773HDS/Akasa Internal DuoSwap Caddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users