Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad memory cause WoW crashes...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:50 AM

So here's the deal, since everyone at my work plays WoW (a bunch of 20-40 year old men all with level 70's) I decided to get back into it, I played for a while a long time ago, before Burning Crusade came out, and got a lvl 27 Orcish Rogue. But now that Wrath of the Lich King came out, I decided to start fresh. I do not have Burning Crusade or Wrath of the Lich King installed btw.

So during gameplay, I will get random crashes, some leading to BSOD, some just causing WoW to crash. I have ran Memtest and got absolutely terrifying results, I couldnt even get 5% done after 15 minutes.... nothing but errors, but I guess thats what I get when I buy 2 gigs of non name brand cheap ram from the Base Exchange. Other than that, my computer is in great shape, so is it possible that these crashes are caused from bad ram? I know the memory has caused BSOD in other situations, but WoW does it really bad. Let me know what you all think, I will be replacing it anyway, but just out of curiosity I would like to know if the ram could cause such a aggravating situation

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:22 AM

Insufficient can cause this type of problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:11 PM

If you are running this on a laptop that is plugged in, you might be overheating your computer, that's waht happens on mine, if poosible create a new power shceme to reduce system temperature or just unplug it to tone down the performance and get the temp down, or if your running it on desktop, I have no clue... If what you are saying is causing WoW to crash then go buy some new ram or try reformatting your hard drive.
If I'm posting, I probably have something horribly wrong with my computer, there's no obvious explanation for it, that's just the way it is.

#4 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:52 PM

It ended up being the motherboard, it has a built in wall that does not allow the CPU to be overclocked passed a specific amount (415-417 MHz), so with that maxed out it ended up causing problems, the cpu itself has successful stories of being overclocked up to 4.2 GHz, it is 3.0GHz stock.
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users