Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet access

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 swstout

swstout

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:23 AM

I have Vista Home Premium. Recently my son connected his laptop to my DSL connected computer when he visited. After he disconnected I no longer could connect to the internet. My computer would go to my start page. Mouse over an icon in the tray brought up the message "Loading Internet Security". I have Trend Micro IS. After about 10 minutes of "Loading" I tried to do Open Excel. Nothing. I could load anything. Tried to restart - nothing.

The only way I could shut down was to cut power.

When I restarted it went to Safe Mode. I chose (by trial and error) Safe Mode with Internet Connection. I now had internet but have no anti-virus protection. I tried to run My anti-virus program. A Black Screen with white lettering came up.

Scanning Memory PASS
Scanning Partition of Disc C:
Scanning C:\Boot\BCD -> <<ERROR (-94>>>
Scanning C:\Boot\BCD.log -> <<ERROR (-94>>>
Scanning C:pagefile.sys -> <<ERROR (-94>>>

Trend Micro told me to uninstall Trend Micro and then reinstall it. Should fix the problem.

It didn't. Still the same.

Help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:18 PM

Do you have a restore point before the problem that you can go back to?
When you reboot the computer and it gives you the different options, do you have Last Known Good Configuration?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 swstout

swstout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:31 PM

Thank you for responding. I already tried system restore with no results. I then went to my oldest restorepoint and tried that. Again, no results.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:02 PM

REad these articles. The one say XP but it's the same

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937168/en-us
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users